Carole
Carole
  • Australia

Revamped Retro 1950's Garden Bench

$60
1 Week

I bought this garden bench on ebay some months ago. It was in the colours I wanted, however, the paint was peeling in places down to the woodwork and the frame had some rust. I thought it would benefit from a complete strip and repaint. I was pretty pleased with the end result. I also have two single seat benches in the same style that I repainted the frames but removed all the rotted wooden slats and rusted bolts (using bolt cutters) then I redid the slats using new Merbau wood. This wood is rich in oils and suited to the outdoor life. I may paint the two single seaters when the tannins in the wood have leached out, otherwise they would bleed through any new paint job. I already had the green and yellow paint left over from another project but had to buy two cans of red spray paint and a bottle of rust converter.
Newly painted frame and slats
Newly painted frame and slats
Wooden slats - paint stripped with heat gun, sanded and undercoated.  Metal frame treated with rust converter and then rust proof primer
Wooden slats - paint stripped with heat gun, sanded and undercoated. Metal frame treated with rust converter and then rust proof primer
Condition as purchased - peeling paint and rusty frame

• Kate F

love the cheery colors for the garden.

• Carole

Thank you! The 4 seater garden table will be done in the same colour scheme.