Julie Crozier
Julie Crozier
  • Littleton, CO

Backyard Drink Cart

Chalk-tique Additive turns any paint into chalk paint.
I took this $5 side table and upcycled it to a cute backyard drink cart! Chalk-tique additive mixed with paint, and a coat of Chalk-tique Paste Wax, Dark Oak.
backyard drink cart, chalk paint, painted furniture, painting, painting wood furniture, shelving ideas
I bought this side table for $5, and decided to turn it into a beverage cart for my back yard. Just for kicks, I used an exterior latex paint to see how well Chalk-tique performed. Well, I can definitely say, add Exterior Latex Paint to the list of YES products for Chalk-tique! Honestly, I have not found a paint that Chalk-tique does not work with. Great with any latex, oil based, waterbourne, low VOC, no VOC, any sheen.
First: WASH with Chalktique Concentrated Wood Soap. Let dry.
Before!
Before!
Next, MIX Chalk-tique Powder Additive with water. The ratios are on the back of the jar, and the scoop is included inside. For this project, I mixed Chalk-tique with one 1/2 quart of paint, so I used two scoops of Chalk-tique Additive and 1/4 water. Stir until creamy. (One jar of Chalk-tique Additive will work with 2 quarts of any paint.)
Chalk-tique Powder Additive
Chalk-tique Powder Additive
Add the Chalk-tique Additive mix to your paint. Although the Chalk-tique looks brown, it has no pigment and will NOT change the color of your paint.
Chalk-tique does not change the paint color
Start painting! Even though I did two coats of paint with Chalk-tique, I had a lot left over! But no worries - Chalk-tique when added to paint does not change the shelf life. Just seal it up, and use it on another project later!
No pre-sanding, just start painting!
No pre-sanding, just start painting!
Chalk-tique paint on Metal? Well, of course!
This is the same can of Chalk-tique added to paint that I used over two years ago to paint a dresser.
Chalk-tique paint on metal!
Chalk-tique paint on metal!
DISTRESS. I like to use 240 grit sandpaper. Start at the corners and any raised surface areas to make it look natural. How little or how much you distress is up to you. Feel like you over did it? Just touch up with more paint!
After distressing, wipe down with cheesecloth or tack cloth to remove the debris.
Distress after using Chalk-tique paint
Distress after using Chalk-tique paint
WAX. I used Chalk-tique Paste Wax in Dark Oak, to give it an antique look. At first I was using a cloth to apply the wax, but then I switched to a wax brush - easier to get into all the nooks and crannies. Apply to a small area at a time, and let sit for about 3 - 5 minutes. Buff off with a soft cloth.
Chalk-tique Paste Wax in Dark Oak
Chalk-tique Paste Wax in Dark Oak
The last thing I did was to shine up the hardware a bit - I rubbed them with Steel Wool.
Here it is all done! Time to sit back and relax!

• Chalk-tique Additive (only 2 scoops)  (www.chalktique.com)
  • White Exterior Latex Paint  (hardware store)
  • Chalk-tique Concentrated Wood Soap  (www.chalktique.com)

To see more: http://www.chalktique.com/

• Rem8878921

Has this gotten wet by a sprinkler or rain yet? If so, did it hold up okay?

• Ponylady

I just made a cat bed out of an end table and wax it and the water just beads up and doesn't hurt the paint or furniture and it is out doors...I wax every 6 mos. with Minwax(Paste Finishing Wax) for furniture ...great stuff so as long as you wax good and I buff lightly after it drys , it's water proof ...hope this helps you.:)

• Jackie Bajzel

did you create a frame to set the metal container in? I see in the final picture it is not quite sitting on the table, and if so what did you use?

• Julie Crozier

I did not create a frame, the tub I bought (from Hobby Lobby) just sits in the wood top part (where I took out the plastic shelf).

My parents used to have tables like this. Wish I still had them. What a great idea!

• Chalky-Cheek

Stunning! I am so amazed-and inspired- by all these posts.