Butchers Block/kitchen Island From a $1 Ebay Purchase

$130
1 Week
I found this weird, round, heavy timber table(?) on ebay some time ago. I bought it from a guy who said he originally had two of them but had sold one. He could not be bothered painting the second one to sell and just wanted it gone! I have no idea what it was originally used for. Two big for a bedside table, too tall for a coffee table. So I was the only bidder and scored it for just $1. It sat in my garage for a few months before I decided what to do with it. Then inspiration hit. Add wheels, remove the existing glass insert from the top, (the glass was later used for another project), paint it white and add a butchers cutting block to the top and voila! Mobile kitchen island//butchers block! The top is a bamboo lazy susan with the revolving base removed. It was the perfect size for this unit and no trimming or cutting was required.
2 coats of undercoat, followed by two coats of water based top coat in a fresh white - looking so much better!
4 heavy duty casters added to the bottom for mobility - and a bamboo lazy susan with the base removed for the top. Glued in place with wood glue. Great for extra bench and cutting space
Stripping the black paint back to the timber with paint stripper
Tip: wear long sleeve chemical rubber gloves bought cheap from hardware store - don't get the stripper on your skin or in your eyes - protective eyewear also a good idea!

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 5 comments
Next