Painting the Cushions for My Lawn Chairs

$60

A friend recently gave me some lawn chairs and cushions. I wasn't very fond of the flowery pattern and knew I wouldn't be able to afford to replace them. I researched painting fabrics and found a recipe for making my own chalk paint. 1 cup of flat paint and a tbsp of unsanded grout. I used olympia brand paint with my cushions. My daughter and I spent about 2 evenings total painting the cushions. They took two coats of the paint. All said and done we used about a gallon and a half for the 6 cushions and the 2 foot cushions. I don't recommend letting the unused mixed paint sit around for any length of time. It was about two weeks between the 1st and 2nd coat and the first cushion we started painting on was extremely bumpy. I don't know if that was because the paint sat mixed with the grout for an extended time or if the last mix wasn't mixed well enough. Overall I am pleased with the finished results. We'll see how long it lasts.
This was the original pattern. 6 cushions and 2 foot cushions
a close up. I did wash some of the cushions before doing the painting
This is the first try with one side painted.
As you can see there is some damage on the side of the cushion. We did paint this as well.
I think that I made the paint too thin.
After this cushion I started adding just a bit more grout to my paint
This is with the thicker paint
Finished results. Two coats of paint
Close up of the chair.
We often use stumps as side tables. Cute little grouping.

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!

• Lyn Harris
    Lyn Harris

Can you paint leather

• Ann
      Ann

Try website rubnrestore.com. They sale leather paint.

Ann

• Laila
    Laila

Have they held up ? Do you store them when not in use? I leave mine out the whole season... & store just in winter. Great job!

• Heidi Burks
      Heidi Burks

I usually just put them up on the porch. They have held up. I do recommend putting them up when they aren't in use because they will hold water if it rains. If mine get wet I just lay them over the clothes line or porch railing to dry.

• ConnieA
    ConnieA

I HAVE A LOVE SEAT AND CHAIR , THAT DEFINITELY NEED RE-UPHOLSTERY OR PAINTING. IT WAS ENCOURAGING THAT YOU SAID IT TOOK MORE THAN ONE COAT. WHAT IS THE BEST PAINT ?

• Buz15409339
    Buz15409339

FYI: I used water proof spray on our new cushions, thinking I was being really smart! NOT Now they hold water when it rains and it takes a week to dry out.Basically, I ruined a whole set of new cushions. (I sprayed all sides and edges)

• Rosie
    Rosie

I think you did a terrific job and I am amazed none of the pattern shows through? They look great considering how much new cushions cost? I have some that need to be done also, may try it this spring. Thanks for sharing.