Painting the Cushions for My Lawn Chairs

$60

A friend recently gave me some lawn chairs and cushions. I wasn't very fond of the flowery pattern and knew I wouldn't be able to afford to replace them. I researched painting fabrics and found a recipe for making my own chalk paint. 1 cup of flat paint and a tbsp of unsanded grout. I used olympia brand paint with my cushions. My daughter and I spent about 2 evenings total painting the cushions. They took two coats of the paint. All said and done we used about a gallon and a half for the 6 cushions and the 2 foot cushions. I don't recommend letting the unused mixed paint sit around for any length of time. It was about two weeks between the 1st and 2nd coat and the first cushion we started painting on was extremely bumpy. I don't know if that was because the paint sat mixed with the grout for an extended time or if the last mix wasn't mixed well enough. Overall I am pleased with the finished results. We'll see how long it lasts.
This was the original pattern. 6 cushions and 2 foot cushions
a close up. I did wash some of the cushions before doing the painting
This is the first try with one side painted.
As you can see there is some damage on the side of the cushion. We did paint this as well.
I think that I made the paint too thin.
After this cushion I started adding just a bit more grout to my paint
This is with the thicker paint
Finished results. Two coats of paint
Close up of the chair.
We often use stumps as side tables. Cute little grouping.

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants

• Lyn Harris

Can you paint leather

• Ann

Try website rubnrestore.com. They sale leather paint.

Ann

• Laila

Have they held up ? Do you store them when not in use? I leave mine out the whole season... & store just in winter. Great job!

• Heidi Burks

I usually just put them up on the porch. They have held up. I do recommend putting them up when they aren't in use because they will hold water if it rains. If mine get wet I just lay them over the clothes line or porch railing to dry.

• ConnieA

I HAVE A LOVE SEAT AND CHAIR , THAT DEFINITELY NEED RE-UPHOLSTERY OR PAINTING. IT WAS ENCOURAGING THAT YOU SAID IT TOOK MORE THAN ONE COAT. WHAT IS THE BEST PAINT ?

• Buz15409339

FYI: I used water proof spray on our new cushions, thinking I was being really smart! NOT Now they hold water when it rains and it takes a week to dry out.Basically, I ruined a whole set of new cushions. (I sprayed all sides and edges)

• Rosie

I think you did a terrific job and I am amazed none of the pattern shows through? They look great considering how much new cushions cost? I have some that need to be done also, may try it this spring. Thanks for sharing.