Unique Dog Feeding Stand

When a friend calls and says she has a pile of picket fence stakes left over from her grandparent's house she thought you'd like, you jump in the truck as quick as you can to pick up that load of goodness! I have been making projects up a storm out of this load of goodies I was blessed with!
unique dog feeding stand, how to, pets animals, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, shabby chic, woodworking projects
The project I am sharing today is for this lovely lady. Our Greyhound, Gigi. She is a beautiful girl, fast sweet and a tad bit lazy. You can read more about her on the blog. Because she is tall she has to have an elevated bowl to help her digest when she eats. I really wanted to make her a pretty feeding bowl instead of the ugly plastic one we have. She deserves a pretty table too! :)
Now don't be discouraged if you didn't land on a magical pile of fence boards...you can actually buy new ones very similar to this at your local hardware supply store. You will just have to paint and distress them yourself. I started by building a frame out of scrap wood that was big enough to house her water and food bowl. After using a jigsaw on a piece of plywood to cut two holes for bowls, I attached the top piece to the frame with L brackets and wood screws. For the top piece I sanded, stained and sealed it before attaching it.
For the sides I cut the pickets down to equal lengths at the height that fit our girl. Next I attached them to the side of the frame and added another piece of wood as a brace. (all the scrap wood pieces were actually the left over from cutting down the pickets or extra pickets!)
So here it is a beautiful place for Gigi to eat and for us to look at! It goes so nicely with our décor now! Friends, it's the little touches like this that can make you really love every inch of your home! AND...it doesn't have to cost a fortune.
I hope you'll hop over to my blog Hunt & Host and see the other thrifty projects I share with a slice of Christian inspiration. Maybe you can start with the other picket fence projects I've made from this pile or see the two ways you can use these cute little garage sale finds below. Can't wait to visit with you! Thanks for stopping by.

• Picket Fence posts
  • Wood Screws
  • One Sheet of plywood
Hunt & Host: Decorating & DIY

• Annie Doherty

Terrific make, this is beautiful and practical for Gigi, I must try and make one for my Lucy. I agree with Susan I love people who go the extra mile for their beloved fur babies. Thank you very much.

• Lynn Turnbull

Not only do I love the bowl stand but also the fence. I would like this on my porch to remind visitors that Bella lives here and might dart if they open the door. 0