Mary Ann Goldberg
Mary Ann Goldberg
  • Tutorial Team
  • Lake Saint Louis, MO

After - Garden/Deck/Patio Decor

In my previous post I showed an array of items that were repurposed or utilized in our outdoor decor. Following are the "After" pictures. Enjoy!
after garden deck patio decor, container gardening, crafts, decks, gardening, outdoor living, patio, repurposing upcycling
The decision to shorten the step ladder legs was a great idea. Originally I wanted to separate the two sides of the ladder, but even though this thing was rickety and old, the rivets wouldn't give.
Some of the planters are constructed from pots or coffee or nut tins and decorated with paint, string, fabric or stencils. The pots were then sealed with Mod Podge.
Two photos of the potheads. There are a couple more that you can see in other photos.
One of the topsy-turvy planters.
BBQ Grill and Hanging Plants. The fifth colander is hanging here.
Large Painted Pots. The largest pot I got at a garage sale. When I got it home I saw it had a crack down the side. I glued it and ran a piece of wire around the neck and it has held beautifully. That is a leaf in the front, not the crack.
The painted bench is in this shot, as well as one of the repainted deck chairs. I sewed cushions for the bench and milk crates, a hobby I'm just learning. The cushions are functional, but the sewing quality needs a tad more help.
Here is the ladder and pots. I Ieaned it against the deck rail and it has not budged, even through some bad storms.
The second set of topsy-turvy pots are on the right, with more pot heads in the center.
Did you notice the colander hanging planters? A set of three blue ones were at a consignment store. I paid $12 for the set. The smallest is attached to the top deck rail, not visible here. I used either coconut hair and/or coffee filters In all the planters to help keep the dirt in but let the water drain. I used wire, chains and "S" hooks to make the hangers. Hubby drilled in the hooks to hang them on. What a guy!
The water can was also purchased from a consignment store, this one for $10. The floral pattern was already Mod Podged on, and really makes it pretty. The sprinkler head unscrews so I took it off and used fishing line to thread into the holes. Then they were tied off with a washer. To simulate the rain I used clear, white and blue colored beads and jewelry.
This shot reminds me of standing behind a waterfall.
The light house and it is not leaning. I don't know why it looks that way. To the top of it is the smallest blue colander. There are 5 colanders: 3 blue, one silver (not shown) and one with a wine colored top on it (with the BBQ grill shown above).
Shown here is a small section of the patio table and 4 chairs that were repainted. We still need to get an umbrella and stand for it - waiting for the summer close outs.
We went to an art show this past spring and my husband loved these glass "tear drops". They are beautiful. We got three: blue and yellow for the front, and green for the back. I slid the pool noodle on the pole before settling it in the ground. I thought it would be more visible this way. We did not put the noodle on the tear drop on the deck.
That's it! I did not take a lot of in-process photos, but I'll try to answer any questions you may have. I do not have the spray paint color names, unfortunately.
The link to my first post is here:
http://www.hometalk.com/18673212/before-mostly-garden-deck-patio-decor
For those that want to but don't DIY, it's for the most part easy, fun and relaxing! Try it. I have had quite a few fails, and it's part of the process. I haven't ruined anything expensive because I hit the thrift shops, consignment stores and flea markets. Now you go out and do your own thing!

• Geri

How did you create the "windows" on the lighthouse levels? And what did you use for the top tier "railing"? This is such a cute design!

• Mary Ann Goldberg

The "windows" are cut out from black screening (like on a screen door). The top tier is cut from the bottom of a wire basket, found at Dollar Tree.

• Judy

How to do those incredible Topsie Turvy decoration. Please...

• Marc Erick

Oh wow! Everything looks amazing! Love the teardrop!! Super inspired!๐Ÿ–’๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ–’

• Starr Durrant

The light house is super cute! Your hard work paid off - it looks great!