DIY Plant Stand: A Thrift Store Upcycle

You never know what you'll find when you visit the thrift store! Carve yourself out a few slow hours one afternoon, stroll through a few stores, and get inspired to create something totally unique and fun!
diy plant stand a thrift store upcycle, container gardening, crafts, gardening, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
If there were a way to do it, I'd make of job out of thrift store shopping - seriously! I absolutely love perusing our local thrift stores, stalking the aisles and shelves for the ugly, unloved, cast-off, full-of-potential diamonds-in-the-rough. There's something incredibly satisfying about taking someone's trash and making into my treasure! That was the case with these two worn-out pieces. A few squirts of glue and a couple of coats of spray paint and these dust-collectors got a new lease on life!
For this project, I needed a strong glue I could depend on forever. My brother-in-law says Gorilla Glue can fix and hold anything, and anytime I talked about trying to fix something, his answer is always the same: Gorilla Glue. So I decided to give it a try, and I sheepishly now say, "WOW - he is so right!"
This stuff is amazing and I really hope these two pieces like each other because they are forever united in togetherness!
Of course, they needed a new look. Spray paint will fix most any (ugly) thing, so I headed to the paint cabinet to see what I could find and chose this Krylon colonial ivory chalky finish paint that was left over from another project.
I've just got to say that those little embellishments on the side kind of look like a sassy little lady with hands propped on her hips. Don't you think so? Probably pleased with her new look. :)
A quick trip through my garden supply stash turned up this simple black plastic pot that was just the size I needed. I gave it a couple coats of the same paint, plopped in a cute little Peace Lily I snagged for $1 from the clearance cart at Lowe's, and...
a one-of-a-kind plant stand was born for less than $5! The very best part of thrift store shopping is the unlimited number of ways you can go with things. I'm headed out again this weekend in search of the ugly and unloved. I hope you'll do the same!

• Old decorative vase  (Thrift Store)
  • Ceramic plate  (Thrift Store)
  • Gorilla Glue  (Wal-Mart)
To Work With My Hands

• Sue Sanguinetti

What kind of paint did you use? Spray?

• Edelong10

DIY Plant Stand: A Thrift Store Upcycle To Work With My Hands To Work With My Hands Hometalker things to try 3 hours ago . 56K Views Like25 430 Save94 You never know what you'll find when you visit the thrift store! Carve yourself out a few slow hours one afternoon, stroll through a few stores, and get inspired to create something totally unique and fun! Difficulty: Easy diy plant stand a thrift store upcycle, diy, gardening, home decor, repurposing upcycling If there were a way to do it, I'd make of job out of thrift store shopping - seriously! I absolutely love perusing our local thrift stores, stalking the aisles and shelves for the ugly, unloved, cast-off, full-of-potential diamonds-in-the-rough. There's something incredibly satisfying about taking someone's trash and making into my treasure! That was the case with these two worn-out pieces. A few squirts of glue and a couple of coats of spray paint and these dust-collectors got a new lease on life! diy plant stand a thrift store upcycle, diy, gardening, home decor, repurposing upcycling For this project, I needed a strong glue I could depend on forever. My brother-in-law says Gorilla Glue can fix and hold anything, and anytime I talked about trying to fix something, his answer is always the same: Gorilla Glue. So I decided to give it a try, and I sheepishly now say, "WOW - he is so right!" diy plant stand a thrift store upcycle, diy, gardening, home decor, repurposing upcycling This stuff is amazing and I really hope these two pieces like each other because they are forever united in togetherness! diy plant stand a thrift store upcycle, diy, gardening, home decor, repurposing upcycling Of course, they needed a new look. Spray paint will fix most any (ugly) thing, so I headed to the paint cabinet to see what I could find and chose this Krylon colonial ivory chalky finish paint that was left over from another project. Read the text between pic's.

• Marie Tuttle

Wonderful idea. I am planning a 60 ft long garden between two cement strips where an old mobile home was and so looking for ideas to spruce up the property. This will be one idea I will try to use. I have thought of painting tires on one end and stacking with plants and a bird bath with succulents in the middle and ??? through out. Any ideas will be appreciated. I am still in the planning stages so I'm open to any and all ideas. Thanks
    • To Work With My Hands

What an exciting project. I do have a suggestion. Do check out my friend's blog: www.gardenupgreen.com. She is an amazing gardener and has incredible vision. She released a fabulous book earlier this year and has an entire chapter dedicated to ways to add flair to the garden. You'll find plenty of ideas on her site for adding unique and fun flair to your gardening space.

Best wishes to you!
  • Marcia

Did that paint hold up on the glass plate?