DIY Chicken Feeder Planter

$35

There it was this very boring metal chicken feeder sporting this amazing Calibrachoa. An annual plant that I've been able to protect through the winter and enjoy year round.
diy sweet tea chicken feeder planter, container gardening, crafts, how to
I used sweet tea fabric swatches and if you're someone who doesn't sew no worries because we're attaching the swatches with glue.
The planter was this boring chicken feeder, a container my chickens didn't really like so I turned it into a planter. The supplies for this project started with tacky glue and fabric. At this point no cutting was necessary because these swatches were cut with an edge.
First clean the surface of the container before applying the fabric. Keep in mind you don't need to use a chicken feeder any container will do.
I added glue dots to each square one at a time and placed them in the shape of triangles going completely around until I reached the first square again.
Here's when it all came together. I added this very simple navy blue ribbon and tied it off into a crisp shoe lace bow. For me this is when I just smiled and knew this planter was complete.
This chicken feeder planter sits on a bench makeover project that I recently finished and the two fit together perfectly.

Couple closing thoughts: This project was easy and inexpensive but it this is going to be placed in a high weathered area I would recommend covering those fabric swatches with a polyurethane finish to extend the look of this project.

• Hoffman Sweet Tea Swatches  (Thistlewood Farms or craft stores)
  • Tacky Crafters Glue  (Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels)
  • Chicken Feeder  (Tractor Supply)
Garden Up Green - Carole

• It's beautiful. Will it be safe in the outside elements?

• Yes because I have it in a protected area on my front porch. If you place it out in the open then you may want to use a mod podge glue.

• Karen

How does it handle the rain? Snow?

• Kim Lichtfuss

I've used fabrics on plastic pots...modpodged the fabric on...and when dry, seal the entire outside area with Rustoleum triple thick clear glaze. No problems with rain or heat at all..and doesn't yellow up.

• Jw_7101187

We have backyard chickens and 'we're' not crazy about that style feeder. What are you using instead.

• You know I just grabbed an old baking pan that I no longer needed in the kitchen and feed them with that in the morning and evening. The rest of the day they free range.

• Honestly it was an answer to prayer - it was for a challenge with several other bloggers and my first idea just didn't come together like I had planned. I panicked because for the first time I was blank and then I prayed, walked outside and there sat that boring chicken planter and the idea sparked. Pretty neat huh?

• Lisa House

Adorable