Mosaic Cookie Sheet Serving Tray

$28

I have to be honest and say that mosaic is not my forte, nor is it my favorite type of art to play around with. However, I’m all about continuing to try using mediums that maybe weren’t super fun my first go around (I made a mosaic window a few years ago that actually sold for a nice chunk of change!), and this project was fairly simple. It didn’t turn out exactly how I envisioned, but it serves a purpose and I plan to use it the next time we have company over.

I love the added touch of the jute twine handles and how they mesh with the beach color mosaic.

Supplies:
-cookie sheet
-old towel
-hammer
-mosaic tile
-mosaic grout
-mosaic adhesive
-rope (I ended up using jute twine [not pictured] because the rope was entirely too large to fit through the tiny drilled holes. This is what happens when your vision and reality don’t mesh.)

Not pictured:
-sharpie (optional)
-sponge (or you can use an old rag)
-hot glue gun/sticks

*Note: I spent about $28 on all the material I used, however, I had enough leftover to make 1-2 additional mosaic trays.

STEP 1: Come Up With a Design (optional but recommended)
The first thing I did for this mosaic serving tray was come up with a design. You don’t have to be Picasso to draw something out, but I highly recommend at least getting something on paper so you have an idea for spacing. I studied abroad in France during my freshman year of college, so the French culture is near and dear to my heart. I chose the word “fête”, meaning party in French. Once I drew out what I had in mind with a pencil and paper, I used a Sharpie to carefully freehand it on my cookie sheet.

STEP 2: Separate Tile (optional)
After I drew my design, I separated my color tiles. The last time I used mosaic, I wasted so much time digging through the container for the specific color(s) I needed, so this time I decided to separate them before I started assembling my mosaic. Of course, this is also optional, but it will make your life a lot easier!

STEP 3: Break Tiles
Now to the fun part. I’m sure this is not the professional mosaic-maker’s way of breaking tiles, but this way works for me, so I stick with it. I stacked a few groups of tiles (the pictures just show a few random tiles but I actually stack a few groups of 4-5 tiles) on my old towel, then covered the towel onto itself and, light but firmly, hit each stack with my hammer. I then carefully poured my broken tiles on a plate.

STEP 4: Glue Tiles
Next, I traced my design/word with the mosaic adhesive — one letter at a time — and placed my broken mosaic tiles on the glue with the flat/smooth side facing up. [This is the time consuming part of the project, so you may have to take breaks. I know I did! My neck was stiff from looking down for so long.] I first finished my word in one color, then the swirl of my design in a second color, and finally the far edges with the third turquoise color, working that same color back towards the outline of my design until all of my tray was filled with mosaic tile.

STEP 5: Grout
After I let my tray sit and dry overnight, I mixed up my mosaic grout. I simply went by the directions on the back of the container, making the grout to a thick but smooth consistency. Then, using a plastic butter knife (again, I’m sure there’s a tool for this kind of thing, but I used what I had on hand and it worked just fine) I spread the grout on to my mosaic design making sure to get it into all of the cracks and crevices. As per the instructions on the grout container, I let my tray sit for about 10-15 minutes, then took a sponge and wiped off the excess grout and let it continue to sit to fully dry and harden.

STEP 6: Add Handles (optional)
You don’t have to make your mosaic into a serving tray — it can be used simply as a kitchen trivet or décor propped on a shelf — I decided to use mine for a small drink or cheese and cracker tray. I chose to add twine handles, so I marked the two places on each side where I wanted your holes to be, then drill. Then, I fed my twine through and tied a knot underneath.

*Note: I didn’t take into consideration the sharp edges of my drilled holes when I originally thought about having twine handles, so I had to use a round file to smooth out the sharp edges of the circle. A different option than drilling holes would be to use a strong adhesive and glue some sort of handle to each side, if anything at all.

Though I’m a little disappointed with the fact that the word isn’t legible, I still think this turned out to be a cute little serving tray with pretty colors. I can’t wait to try it out when we have friends over again!

• 9x12 cookie sheet  (Dollar Tree)
  • Mosaic tile  (AC Moore)
  • Mosaic adhesive  (AC Moore)

• Kim Mac

Does the flexibility of the sheet cause any issues with the tile and grout cracking?

• Debo

Excellent question! Wish it had an answer lol

• Aquianetta Price

I truly love your project. My mind is running with so many ideas on what to do first. But please tell me what material to use for sealing the tray to be used for serving. Beautiful job, and thanks for the inspiration.

• LaDeanna

I am going to try this and use model podge to seal it with. Hopefully it works.

• Freie

Could spray the pan any color before adding materials?

• Meera

From where do I get colored ceramic tiles? From home improvement stores? Please let me know. Thank you very much. God bless.🙏

• Dee
    24 minutes ago

i TOO, WAS WONDERING ABOUT WHERE TO PURCHASE THE MOSIAC TILES?