Mosaic Cookie Sheet Serving Tray

$28

I have to be honest and say that mosaic is not my forte, nor is it my favorite type of art to play around with. However, I’m all about continuing to try using mediums that maybe weren’t super fun my first go around (I made a mosaic window a few years ago that actually sold for a nice chunk of change!), and this project was fairly simple. It didn’t turn out exactly how I envisioned, but it serves a purpose and I plan to use it the next time we have company over.

I love the added touch of the jute twine handles and how they mesh with the beach color mosaic.

Supplies:
-cookie sheet
-old towel
-hammer
-mosaic tile
-mosaic grout
-mosaic adhesive
-rope (I ended up using jute twine [not pictured] because the rope was entirely too large to fit through the tiny drilled holes. This is what happens when your vision and reality don’t mesh.)

Not pictured:
-sharpie (optional)
-sponge (or you can use an old rag)
-hot glue gun/sticks

*Note: I spent about $28 on all the material I used, however, I had enough leftover to make 1-2 additional mosaic trays.

STEP 1: Come Up With a Design (optional but recommended)
The first thing I did for this mosaic serving tray was come up with a design. You don’t have to be Picasso to draw something out, but I highly recommend at least getting something on paper so you have an idea for spacing. I studied abroad in France during my freshman year of college, so the French culture is near and dear to my heart. I chose the word “fête”, meaning party in French. Once I drew out what I had in mind with a pencil and paper, I used a Sharpie to carefully freehand it on my cookie sheet.

STEP 2: Separate Tile (optional)
After I drew my design, I separated my color tiles. The last time I used mosaic, I wasted so much time digging through the container for the specific color(s) I needed, so this time I decided to separate them before I started assembling my mosaic. Of course, this is also optional, but it will make your life a lot easier!

STEP 3: Break Tiles
Now to the fun part. I’m sure this is not the professional mosaic-maker’s way of breaking tiles, but this way works for me, so I stick with it. I stacked a few groups of tiles (the pictures just show a few random tiles but I actually stack a few groups of 4-5 tiles) on my old towel, then covered the towel onto itself and, light but firmly, hit each stack with my hammer. I then carefully poured my broken tiles on a plate.

STEP 4: Glue Tiles
Next, I traced my design/word with the mosaic adhesive — one letter at a time — and placed my broken mosaic tiles on the glue with the flat/smooth side facing up. [This is the time consuming part of the project, so you may have to take breaks. I know I did! My neck was stiff from looking down for so long.] I first finished my word in one color, then the swirl of my design in a second color, and finally the far edges with the third turquoise color, working that same color back towards the outline of my design until all of my tray was filled with mosaic tile.

STEP 5: Grout
After I let my tray sit and dry overnight, I mixed up my mosaic grout. I simply went by the directions on the back of the container, making the grout to a thick but smooth consistency. Then, using a plastic butter knife (again, I’m sure there’s a tool for this kind of thing, but I used what I had on hand and it worked just fine) I spread the grout on to my mosaic design making sure to get it into all of the cracks and crevices. As per the instructions on the grout container, I let my tray sit for about 10-15 minutes, then took a sponge and wiped off the excess grout and let it continue to sit to fully dry and harden.

STEP 6: Add Handles (optional)
You don’t have to make your mosaic into a serving tray — it can be used simply as a kitchen trivet or décor propped on a shelf — I decided to use mine for a small drink or cheese and cracker tray. I chose to add twine handles, so I marked the two places on each side where I wanted your holes to be, then drill. Then, I fed my twine through and tied a knot underneath.

*Note: I didn’t take into consideration the sharp edges of my drilled holes when I originally thought about having twine handles, so I had to use a round file to smooth out the sharp edges of the circle. A different option than drilling holes would be to use a strong adhesive and glue some sort of handle to each side, if anything at all.

Though I’m a little disappointed with the fact that the word isn’t legible, I still think this turned out to be a cute little serving tray with pretty colors. I can’t wait to try it out when we have friends over again!

• 9x12 cookie sheet  (Dollar Tree)
  • Mosaic tile  (AC Moore)
  • Mosaic adhesive  (AC Moore)

• Sst6502087

Was the complete project completely level? If not, would it be possible to make it level? This is a great idea and I'm hoping to use it on an old metal cart I have.

• Gramma

Did the materials have food safety designations? Also. And I'm sure you may already know this, if the wording used darker/more vibrant tiles on a lighter background it would be more readable...but the colors are just fine as is and the words are legible.

• Thanks so much for your question/feedback. I did not notice anything regarding food safety on the packaging, however I personally wouldn't put food directly on the tray. I would use saucers or napkins to place food on.

• Helene Beadman

I think u did a great job and the writing is o.k. also as its soft . The word fête means all the occasions I can think of, of course I'm French. I do mosaic and I buy white grout and colour it the colour I want for a contrast. Ex: your tray could have a charcoal grey to match the pan and bring out the beautiful tile colour u chosed. Just saying an idea?? I use acrylic paint from the dollar store once my grout is mixed, usually one tablespoon will do it for a small project . Also, cupboard handles and short screws would be safe. Check thrift stores or hardware, garage sales...polished nickel would be nice. Bravo!... Looks very nice and unique..cheers.....xo

• Merci beaucoup for those great tips Helene! ;)

• Bay8640909

What would you do differently, next time?

• Jodie Edroff Parkinson

I would have a lighter color background, and darker lettering instead, with the background color being from a different color family.

• Yes, my initial thought was to have a light color for the lettering pop against a darker background but unfortunately there just wasn't enough contrast so if I were to use these same tiles, I'd flip the colors and do dark on light.

• Hag7142911

instead of lettering i would draw a picture or have a child draw on it in a shade of dark and the background lighter...

• Bijoux

Yes, I agree, The light lettering was lost. Dark lettering on light background may have been better. But, thank you for sharing idea.

• Colimbia1

Would there be some kind of paint that you could use make the lettering more visible?
  • Becky

Since it is just a cookie sheet what is to keep it from cracking.

• I don't have anything on the tray to keep it from cracking but I haven't experienced any either...if you have any tips, I'm all ears! :)

• NancyMaria

There are "flexible" grouts. And I don't know if the glue maters, but some of us use Weldbond (water resistant & low odor) that dries to a clear flexible bond for tiles, glass, china or clear silicone (water proof, stink) Also after using grout you MUST seal it to keep water out.

• Carolyn Jean Ross

I'm a 100% novice with mosaic and grout so forgive me if the answer seems obvious - but I assume this is not dishwasher-safe; can it be hand-washed without risk of water getting where it's not wanted? I'm concerned about rust and other moisture-related issues.

• I would venture to say this tray is more for light use.

• Liz

My cousin sealed a mosaic table top with marine spar varnish to keep it water proof. It also kept the grout from getting stained. Courtney, I really like this, & you've inspired me to make one. Thanks!

• Kathy

You can always use a wooden try or a glass baking pan to do this.

• Fran English

Beautiful I love it ! Great idea can’t wait to try to make one myself . Thanks for the inspiration.

• Rai13005919

Would I be able to do this to the inside of a birdbath?
    • Ooooh great idea! I don't see why not!

• Kathy McHale

I have seen people do mosaic on birdbaths...tables...furniture on HGTV....it looks great

• Lynda Slocum

Remember to water proof and don't leave outside in cold weather. My mother in law did this to a bowling ball. I left it out side and it's coming off.

• Patti Cusick Cummins

I use weatherproof silicone when I do outdoor mosaic and then just regular grout and I haven't had much of a problem. I take my mosaic outdoors stuff inside the garage for winter but my daughter has left her stepping stone out for years with no problem.

• Cynthia E

I used E6000 glue and grout sealer for two tabletop fountains I made years ago and have had zero problems.

• Dawn Davis Schwarz

My mother-in-law did a music design in her bird bath and it looks great. Has held up for several years too!

She us now in the process of pulling the carpet in her living room to do a mosaic gecko on the floor.

• Wanda Stadel

I would love to see how her floor turns out! And what materials she uses! I want to put a mosiac on my bedroom floor.

• Lin Collins

You could do your car if your wanted to.

• Jessica Moore

How heavy is this? Seems a cute idea but if it’s heavy it’s not practical

• Laura Bradley Smith

How do you hold down/glue the other tiles down?

• Debra

Use the mosaic adhesive...though I often use a tube of white/clear silicone sealant designed for kitchens or bathrooms -- especially if the mosaic project is to be outdoors.

• Lin Collins

I've used liquid nails with good results

• Rae Holmes

I'm going to try this great gift idea for the party giving friends... Good job and I will use sealant on top... One question how heavy is this completed?

• Kimberly

Is this safe to use as a serving tray with the grout and things used to secure the mosiac tiles,also can you cure it after grouting and can it be used in an oven is so what temp is max?

• Joyce

Can I use a dark colored cookie sheet?

• Joyce

Can I use a dark colored cookie sheet?

• Alma Ziarek

It won’t make a difference as long as it’s sturdy

• Joyce

Thanks Alma.

• Wanda

I think it would be really cute if it the Pan was painted before gluing in the tiles.

• Kim Mac

Does the flexibility of the sheet cause any issues with the tile and grout cracking?

• Debo

Excellent question! Wish it had an answer lol

• Aquianetta Price

I truly love your project. My mind is running with so many ideas on what to do first. But please tell me what material to use for sealing the tray to be used for serving. Beautiful job, and thanks for the inspiration.

• LaDeanna

I am going to try this and use model podge to seal it with. Hopefully it works.

• Freie

Could spray the pan any color before adding materials?

• Meera

Is mosaic adhesive from fevicol or other adhesive. I will make this project, waiting for your advice. I’ll order mosaic adhesive. Thank you very much.

warm regards. 🙏🕉

• Jan pringle

A darker color tile for the letters would work better, I did this with sea glass I purchased at Hobby Lobby and it worked Great

• Carol Scanlon

I will and the napkin rings also just way too cute yes I will try this

• Meera

I had a question. Do I have to use mosaic adhesive? Pls let me know. I have Fevicol and wood glue. Will any of this work? Thank you.