Old Oak Cabinets Painted White and Distressed

16K Views
This kitchen had those 80's oak cabinets that so many want to get rid of. I painted them white and slightly distressed them for a bright and cheerful kitchen. I filled in the grain of the center panel but not the frames since I would be distressing them. This helps gives the feeling of having new cabinets instead of just putting some paint on the old ones. The kitchen is visible from the entire downstairs of the home, so it improves the character of it all.

Suggested materials for this project:

Ask a Question
    • Marion Nesbitt
      Marion Nesbitt Canada

Am not a fan of painting decent wood, but this brightens up your area. What I didn't quite get was you said you distressed them to make them look like new? May be right out of it, but always thought distressing was done to make things look old and used??

• Cindy
          Cindy East Greenbush, NY

@Marion Nesbitt Hi Marion I know I am speaking for her, but I suspect she meant more up to date and current. Distressed furniture is a very up to the minute decorating method.

• Fabulous Finishes by Michelle
          Fabulous Finishes by Michelle Raleigh, NC

I meant it tongue-in-cheek. Distressed finishes are very popular now and many people are paying lots of money for new things that look old. Glad you like the finish!