Genevre
Genevre
  • Salt Lake City, UT

How To Cut Burlap So That It Won’t Unravel

Burlap is so popular right now for all different kinds of crafts and projects, but it’s somewhat of a tricky material to work with. Besides the fact that burlap is messy and leaves little fibers all over your clothes, it’s important to cut it a certain way so that won’t unravel unevenly. You can get burlap from most fabric stores like JoAnns Fabrics. You can also order it online if you need a lot and would like to buy it in bulk. Read more here: http://paintedfurnitureideas.com/how-to-cut-burlap-so-that-it-wont-unravel/
how to cut burlap so that it won t unravel

Genevre

• Betsy Bryant

what am I missing here How do you keep it from unraveling? Pull a thread??? I don't get it.

• Dia4049545

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it! 😀

• Janette

You have to click on the link right above the picture where it says "Read more here"

• Joanne

Seems the tutorial is incomplete.

• Marisol Barreneche Velez

How to Cut Burlap – Here is the trick to cutting burlap with scissors. Choose a thread line that you want to be your edge. Pull on that thread until you have pulled it all the way out, and you have a long strip where the thread once was. You may need to use your scissors a few times to get the thread out all the way.

• Diane Fountain Heide

Pulling a thread just gives you a straight line to cut on, BUT HOW DO YOU KEEP IT FROM UNRAVELING??? And no, there is not a "Read More Here" button.

• Marge Wiesmore Houser

Pulling the string allows you to have a straight cut so the little pieces don't fall off. From here you need to create fringe or sew it to keep it from fraying. Folded over or a wide zigzag. In addition you can get Fray Check from the fabric stores to put on the edge, which helps prevent it from fraying.

• Becky Williams

Marge is correct, there is only one way and that is to Sew the edged

• Debbie

Couldn't you hot melt glue down the edge or clear fingernail polish and let dry?

• Smb228

I make banners out of burlap. I have a cardboard pattern piece that I will lay on the burlap. I then go around the edges with Fray Check. After the Fray Check dries, I cut out the pattern. The Fray Check not only keeps the burlap from unraveling, it leaves a very slight mark on fabric so I know where to cut. This method has worked very well for me. You can buy Fray Check just about anywhere. I usually get mine at Walmart or JoAnns.

• Kristi Waldrop Cooper

I haven't found an "Easy" DIY project yet. That's the purpose of DIY. You have to put in the work and deal with the aggravation. Burlap is so versatile! I Love DIY crafting, refurbishing, reusing, recycling. I'm making a wreath right now and incorporating cotton freshly picked from a cotton field. I just hope it turns out for my friends aunt! But while making the bow, I went to Pinterest and found this site. So, THANK YOU for posting this! I'm having a TIME with the burlap wanting to unravel. I was thinking about taking my fabric glue and folding the edges, however, I was afraid it would make this burlap stiff. I'm going to try and find Fray Check at my local WalMart. Once again, I'm having to postpone, and its taking longer to get this project done! That's okay tho. Its going to look Great!!

• Genevre

Sorry ladies, I wasn't getting notifications that y'all needed help. Here is a link to the detailed article. It seems that hometalk only has my visual images. Kristi don't give up on DIY projects, they do get easier with practice! http://paintedfurnitureideas.com/how-to-cut-burlap-so-that-it-wont-unravel/" target="_blank">http://paintedfurnitureideas.com/how-to-cut-b...

• Lynda Guerin

Debbie, yes I use my glue gun on the edges very lightly and it's perfect,

• Patti Cardinal

It seems like you could just use white glue or mod podge along the edges as long as it wasn’t going to get wet.
  • Jyoung

I don't understand how to do this?????????

• Peggy

Find a burlap thread that goes all the was across .it helps to give u a stright line, take needle and go in on burlap and pull thread up, then get hold next to end of thread

• Peggy

And pull it out will give you a straight line to use to cut evenly

• Genevre

Thanks Peggy! Sorry I missed this question.

• Joni

I'm getting married in February and we've decided to do everything ourselves and I'm doing most of it myself since my fiance' has work and I'm having the hardest time with the burlap (to make a bow) to put on our invitations. It keeps falling apart and I'm getting really frustrated with it. I saw you mentioned some type of fray stuff, could you please explain how to use it for me? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you

• Genevre

Joni- I am so excited for you! All you need to prevent the fraying is either Fray check (found at any crafts store) or clear nail polish. They are pretty much the same thing, Fray Check dries faster. You just brush the ends of your burlap with the clear polish/fray check and no more fraying. Good luck on your invitations!