How to Make Sand Art With Salt!

I’m always on the lookout for fun colorful ways to decorate my home. And I love a good faux technique. So I was thrilled when I ran across the idea of creating sand art with salt! Here is a great way to make up so many different colors of “sand”, with a very low budget. This is a great project for the kids. Oh, and adults too!
how to make sand art with salt , crafts, how to
For this project I used:
3 containers of salt
Colored Chalk
Grater
Ziplock bags
Glass Containers
votive candles
Begin by using the finer part of the grater to grate your chosen color of chalk. I used about half a piece of colored chalk for each color, but you can use more or less depending upon how deep a color you are going for. Grate the chalk over a large ziplock bag or piece of parchment paper.
Add about a cup of salt to your chalk gratings.
Pour into a ziplock bag. Seal, and mix the salt together with the chalk for an even color. Add more chalk or salt as desired to get the color you are looking for.
Repeat. As many times as you like for as many colors as you would like to work with! As you can see, I got a little carried away.
Now for the fun part! I found some great glass containers at the dollar store for this project. These were perfect for showing off the layers of color. Simply pour colors from your bags into the container in layers. Spread them out with your fingers or a pencil, then add another layer.
The colored layers look amazing!
My final touch was to add a votive candle to each one. These are perfect for colorful decorations in my house. Because they are salt, I wouldn’t recommend them for outdoors. They were certainly fun to make and would be a great project for the kids on a lazy summer day.
For more great craft ideas, be sure to check out Suzy's Sitcom! http://suzyssitcom.com

Susan Myers

• Val

Your bowls are lovely. I just wanted to add a couple of tweaks that may be useful. Instead of plastic bags I recycle creamer bottles. They really hold a lot and are great to decorate. Also for a little variety, use Epsom salt for a coarse sand Alternating the fine and the coarse can be great. Thanks for your great ideas. I always am on the lookout for easier ways to do things...lol

• Cecilia

Nice alternative to colored sand.