Sally J
Sally J
  • Lincoln, NE
Asked on Jun 7, 2012

Help!! I have a Chameleon plant

Terri DWalter ReevesDouglas Hunt
+6

Help! I have a Chameleon plants taking over one of My flower beds and spreading to the upper put of the flower beds and onto the yard. Does anyone else having this problem and how to get RID of them for ever!!
  • Walter Reeves

I shudder when I see chameleon plant for sale at garden centers. I tried killing it with Roundup...which worked on the plants it was applied to but never seemed to get all of the roots. I ended up digging out an entire bed of daylilies, shaking the dirt off each one, then sifting the soil to remove chameleon plant roots. Even then, a couple escaped but I dug them out and the bed is weed free for four years.

I think Walter's strategy is the only one that will work. Good luck!

• Erica Glasener

Sally, thanks for posting this question. I'm with Walter, Chameleon plant was promoted years ago by nurseries as this wonderful plant but it is as you have experienced very difficult to get rid of. I hope others will avoid it. I has a distinctive odor when you pull it up too. Best of luck.

• Sally J

Thank you for the info , I have tried digging it up and realized just one Little root would come back and Invade !! the Garden .I will try the round up after I get some other plants out, It's a Scary thought !!

• Frances S

WHAT DOES A CHAMELEON PLANT LOOK LIKE, NEVER HEARD OF IT...

Frances, try a Google image search under its Latin name, Houttuynia cordata. But don't be swayed by the sweet-looking, innocent photos you see!

• Terri D

Walter, I have a chameleon I bought four years ago, and cannot get it to grow. I had it in front of an old cedar stump hoping it would grow and hide it. Yesterday, I finally moved it in front of my house. I think they are so pretty, but I dont want it to get out of control. Should I put it against the woods away from my beds? I need a place where I do not have to move it again. And buy the way, I cannot find the tag, how big does it get? Right now it is only a foot tall. Any suggestions? Terri

• Walter Reeves

In good soil kept moist it will get 2' tall when it flowers. Definitely put it in a spot where it can be controlled.

• Terri D

Walter, thank you so much, it sounds like I should put it alone by itself somewhere, I have to many other shrubs and plants that I do not want to ruin. Luckily I have an acre to work with, I have not started on my lower half, I think I will put it there. Terri