Nancy Rhodes C
Nancy Rhodes C
  • Bessemer, AL
Asked on Jun 7, 2012

I need to know why I changed out my straw????

Merry_sherriNancy Rhodes CMelissa K
+6

How does my garden look? What kind of straw is on the ground? I learned on hometalk to not use pine straw so I took it up and replaced it with this. I have forgotten why but I think it was due to too much acid in pine straw. Someone please enlighten me on what I have done.
q i need to know why i changed out my straw, gardening
  • Melissa K

Old pinestraw is best. I took some new bark and straw from some trees that were cut down and found out that they leach some type acid into the soil. My plants did not appreciate this. Now I go down through the woods behind my house and rake up old straw. Did read later that new pine material should be allowed to weather for awhile.

• Walter Reeves

It's a myth that pine straw acidifies the soil. Here's an article that discusses the phenomenon: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2702/ I like wheat straw because it is a good home for beneficial spiders that control many garden pests.

• Sherrie S

I get mulch from dried out leaves from my neighbor's trees. They look horrible on the ground so I use a vacuum/mulcher to pick them up and save a lot of money using the leaves and it gives my plants the best natural mulch.

• Nancy Rhodes C

I will go back to my pine straw next year. I am well convinced. My great garden is the result of my playing in the dirt and pulling out roots for a week. Nothing is any better than it's maintenance and preparation. Thank you all.

• Erica Glasener

Nancy, I am glad Walter posted the article about pine straw. It is a great mulch for many gardeners in the south especially. Happy gardening.

• Jeanette S

Not only is pine straw great for your garden, in the south it is plentiful and easy to put out. We also use our leaves to mix in with the straw which biodegrades and makes top soil.

• Melissa K

Amen

• Nancy Rhodes C

Pinestraw forevermore ladies. I have always been a pine straw lady. Don't know why I suddenly have been letting people lead me astray when I know better. Thanks to you all and to Douglas.

• Merry_sherri

I detest pine straw! I always seemed to have loads of scorpions wherever I used it, snakes and insects too. Since I've moved to Florida (from Georgia), I use wheat straw so I can more easily see the creatures that come to visit the garden.