Karen S
Karen S
  • Chaseburg, WI

Upcycling old wash tubs and chimney flues

A dump find of old wash tubs and chimney flues and paint made a whimsical kitchen herb garden. In the winter I roll them inside and enjoy fresh/dried herbs all winter.
Our whimsical kitchen herb garden... on rollers

• Angela Carrera

have two of these that came on a frame but its rusting out quickly. what did you put yours on??? I was thinking some bricks just so they're not on the ground. thanks!!

• Karen S

Sorry mine was on wheels and I placed 4 small plywood scrap pieces underneath them. I roll tubs inside in winter but I also sprayed legs with Rustoleum spray paint (clear)

• Rose

How long does the Rustoleum paint last? I have my mom's old wash tubs and bought 5 cans of rustoleum paint. I saw on displayed in someone's yard and it is beautiful. That is where I got the idea and then I saw yours. I love it.

• Karen S

I have to preface this with 2 facts. One I live in the Midwest and in the country where there is a lot of dirt from neighboring fields. I do roll the washtubs in the house each winter to have fresh herbs all winter long. Some even survive until the next spring. Even so I tend to spruce them up each year with a fresh coat of paint. They did to fade and there even may be a few blisters that I scrape off.

• Rose

I have my mom's old washtubs. I want to plant flowers in them. I need to know what kind of paint do you use and how to preserve them.

• Karen S

Sorry my reply got lost. I found using acrylic spray paint is the easiest. When it dries, then apply a clear protective coating spray.

• Dvi32947614

i have 2 wastubs ones on a wrought iron stand ( it's a drink holder has a spicket for ice melt one is an actual antique washbasin, i'm going to do this as soon as my plants need repotting!!!!! ty