Ariel Noel
Ariel Noel
  • Washington, DC

DIY City Patio

My downtown condo has a long, narrow patio off of my bedroom that was NEVER used. I wanted to add a lounge and eating area to make it more useful, but many outdoor sectionals were $1500-$3000 from big box stores. I didn't want to spend more than $600 to furnish the entire space.
diy city patio, home decor, how to, outdoor living, painted furniture, pallet, patio, repurposing upcycling, succulents, tools, reupholster
I found an Ana White plan for an outdoor sectional online and modified it using 2x4s, since they are much cheaper in my area. After cutting them all to size, I stained them a grey color and started putting my pieces together.
After I finished my outdoor sectional, I started to add pieces that I already owned to finish the space (tables, candles, a rug, etc.).
Outdoor cushions ended up being prohibitively expensive. I ALMOST had to sew my own, until I found this set on sale online. Although I love the LOOK of white, it certainly was not my first choice. I protected them further with 303 Fabric Guard (a boat sealing spray), because I was concerned about the color. Luckily, after one year, they are still holding up and looking clean!
For a small bit of decor, I found a pallet on the street one evening and carried it home. There were already nails in the brick, so I simply hung it and shoved some fake succulents in it. Would I prefer real succulents? Sure, but the fake succulents require ZERO attention and are fine all year long. They were also on clearance.
The FINISHED patio was accomplished for only $533.75.
DIY sectional (including tool rental prices): $300
Cushions: $160
303 fabric guard: $12.43
Citronella candle: $8
Green chairs: $30 (Craigslist)
Fake succulents: $23.32
Pallet: free
Small black table: already owned
IKEA Docksta table: already owned
Rug: already owned
White lantern: already owned

Ariel Noel

• Fena Guerrero

Where did you purchase the lights?

• Tres Denizac

That’s the best DIY sectional i’ve ever seen. Can you post your plans?

• Teresa Rothell Bonilla

It's it's beautiful I looked and look to try to find the plans that are just like yours I mean the sectional but I can't find it the one that it takes me to is nothing like yours please help thank you

• Norma Jean Eichmann

I would love to try this but first I would have to find out what the weight limit would be cause I have a very large family (400 lbs.) Would you happen to know what the wright limit would be?

• Mj

Norma, I built one with cinder blocks, as I had some in our yard. Easy to google, and easy to make. For cushions - I buy foam mattress toppers and cut to size, and shower curtains make great outdoor upholstery.

• M sakelik

I bought a few heavy duty wooden rockets and chairs (thrift, second hand stores), stain to my color choice. Sealed them all with marine varnish and they have held up for four years now. In winter months I cover them with plastic sheeting and bungie cords....if your not a handy carpenter, you still can have inexpensive outdoor furniture.

• Jill Krol

For reasonably priced pillows, I took a canvas drop cloth, cut it up and sewed the covers. For inside, I used $5 pillows from Walmart.