Kim
Kim
  • Huntsville, AL

Removing severe rust

Em HooperMonique KusterKMS Woodworks

I have an old metal baby bed that I'm about to work on and turn into a doggie bed, but it is covered in OLD rust. What is the best way to remove it or is there?
  • KMS Woodworks

wire brushing is my first choice. either by hand or with a "powered wheel" in a drill. some sturdy leather gloves and safety glasses are a must.

• Monique Kuster

with coca cola and than with a wire brush

• Em Hooper

Old rust will be there forever if all you do is clan the surface rot off. It's been many years since i did archaeology excavating and I've forgotten a lot, but I suggest you browse for archeology sites that can lead you to the rust removing info you need.The rust is deep down and will come back eventually if you just clean off the surface. It could be that you won't keep the doggie bed long and it's just another short term item, of which we all have too many I sometimes think, and in that case cleaning off surface rust with anything that will take it off will be okay. I remember that in the 60s we used co-cola to take the floor wax off cork tiles......so could be it'll deal with this issue, too..... don't know if this helps much, but good luck. PS Any university that has an archeological dept should be able to connect you with a 'rust expert.'