Clean and Lube Your Tower Fan to Keep It Running

Did you know that your tower fan needs regular maintenance to keep them running? Tower fans are upwards of $40 and more and are great for circulating air in the summer. I have 3 fans that run from June through October and boy do they get nasty with pet hair and dust!
I have one tower fan that is over 9 years old! and the one I used for this post is over 6 years old. Truth be told it stops working when the dust and hair gunk up the fan blade motor. It is not hard to take apart these fans and clean and lube them.
UPDATE: I ADDED A YOUTUBE VIDEO ON TAKING OFF THE BACK FOR ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE REMOVING THE BACK AND PUTTING IT BACK ON
Want to see more? Stop on over and read more
If the fan motor stops working, then you need unplug, remove the cover, and clean and lube.
Fan covers can be removed!
See how much gunk from a season of use! Use WD40 or other lubricant and get that tower fan running again
Most often there are screws holding on the back fan cover.
UPDATE: VIDEO ON REMOVING THE BACK

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Hfl7897098

I unscrewed every screw a total of 6 and I still could not take the casing out. is there a technique?

• Mechelle Adams-Flowers

Can this be done to a smaller Dyson or should I just keep using the small vacuum attachment. Thanks

• Carol Williams

My Lasko tower fan also has 6 screws. 2 of them are sunk deep & I got all the screws out except for 1 of the deeper ones because it appears not to be a phillips head like the other 5. A flat head screw driver does not get it out either. When I shine a flashlight in the hole, it sort of looks like a flat head screw, but in not. It looks like a special screw! I am so close to getting the back cover off, but... Any suggestions?
  • Carol Williams

My Lasko tower fan has 6 screws, 5 of which are phillips head screws. 2 are sunk deep into holes. The one I can't get out is one sunk into a deep hole. When I shine a flashlight into the hole, it sort of looks like a flat head screw, but without the slots. I think they used a special screw so the cover will not be removed. It is not a hexhead screw, either, but something I've never seen before. I am so close to getting the cover off, except for the one. I am tempted to break the cover to get it off. I need to clean & lube this fan, it is making a strange new noise when I have it on.
    Any suggestions?
    • Chu33515585

I just disassembled my Lasko tower fan. If it is like mine, it is a triangular screw that is sunk about a little over 2 inches in. I used a long arm 2mm Allen wrench (hex key) to remove it.

• Cwh7922453

Thanks for sharing!
  • Linda Hardin

I read the comment about not throwing things away. How true that is. I live in a mobile home park near the dumpsters. I routinely check them for discarded fans and vacuums. You would be shocked at the things I find. So far after 4 years I have not found the first vacuum that was;t in working order after cleaning. Some looked brand new. Even a Dyson. Fans too. They all just needed cleaning and lubricating. We are a country with an embarrassment of riches. The vacuums were clogged with carpet freshener. It must be a vacuum cleaner salesman best friend. One tower fan I found had the odd screw that was mentioned. It was a very expensive fan too. It needed a fuse. It has worked 2 years for me. I know some will look down on me for dumpster hauls, but it is terrible the things that are thrown away with so many in need. I give most of the stuff I get out away to needy people after cleaning. Clothes still have tags on most. It makes me so sad to think of all the good things that are wasted each and every day.

• ViKi Payne

You have NOTHING to be ashamed of!!!! You are doing a wonderful thing, not only for others, but for the environment as well! I commend you for all that you do!!! God is very pleased as well!!! "Waste NOT, WANT not"!!! Keep up the great work!!!! ♥️