Upcycled Potting Station/Art Desk

155K Views
A few weeks ago while junking I came across this vintage school desk just discarded on the side of the road. I knew I had to save it, but I had no idea it was going to turn into this gem!
  • upcycled potting station art desk, crafts, gardening, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
When I saw this desk I knew it was meant for bigger things. I just didn't know what, until I found an old shutter pocket door in my stash of treasures. First, the top was not real wood and I wanted to replace it. So I flipped it over and removed the screws.
To make the top I measured the original top and then cut 2 boards accordingly. I went a tad bigger for some overhang to support the top.
Next I picked out another board to make sides for the shutter so it had more support since it was going to be quite tall.
I cut the board in half the height of the shutter.
Then using the Kreg Jig I drilled pocket holes in the back of the shutter where I would attach it to the desk top and then on the sides. One pocket hole on the bottom and two on the sides to attach it to the shutter.
After I attached the sides I gave it a quick dry brush in ivory chalk paint.
I decided to add a shelf on top of the shutter. I used a pipe clamp to keep the sides level while I attached the top shelf. Then I attached the top to the desk.
This is seriously a fun project and it not only can be used as a potting station to hang tools and buckets on the slats of the shutter, but it can double as a kids art station holding all of their supplies! Find the full project and the big on my blog

Suggested materials for this project:

• Pine wood  (home depot)
  • Vintage desk  (junking)
  • Chalk paint  (walmart)
Jessica

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question