Maura White
Maura White
  • Conesus, NY

Turn Those Ugly Cookie Tins Into an Adorable Re-Usable Gift Box!

$6

If you have old cookie tins laying around that you want to give new life to - then you must read this post!!!
turn those ugly cookie tins into an adorable re usable gift box , crafts, painting
Who has an old cookie tin laying around their house that gets rarely used? Especially an older one with cheesy and out-dated prints on them? Maybe you aren't raising your hand. If that is the case, then you can enter any thrift store and find a boat load of these seemingly lifeless containers for dirt cheap.
You will want to start by cleaning out your tins (old cookie crumbs anyone?) and taking off any labels that may be on them. Make sure they are clean and dry. Then get some cardboard and head outside where your spray painting magic can begin! I put on about 3 coats of spray paint on all of the tops and bottoms of the cookie tins. Its much better to put on multiple thin coats rather than one thick coat of spray paint. Thick coats will drip and ruin the finish of the new color.
When your containers are newly painted and fully dry (wait at least 24 hours after spray painting), then you can start embellishing them with washi tape. I started with my rectangle shaped cookie tin and added washi tape just like it was ribbon on a wrapped gift.
When the tape was lined up, I used the X-acto knife to make cuts where the cookie tin opens up. I also trimmed the washi tape on the bottm right at the edge of the container for a nice clean line on the bottom.
You can use similar materials and make this DIY Lunch Box Treat & Note Holder From An Altoid Tin

• Cookie tins  (thrift store)
  • Washi tape  (http://amzn.to/29FsBUj)
  • Magnetic yarn flowers  (https://www.etsy.com/shop/MagnetMenagerie)
Maura White

• Kay

Hi Joann, I love the Wedding Cake idear, I will have to try that one. What about a Birthday Cake to? Thanks for the idear. Kay Adelaide South Australia
    • Maura White

birthday cake would be so cute - with the presents inside! I love it!

• Bar33915407

Will the paint chip off? What about it seeping into the foods?

• Melin

Great repurpose idea! Rustoleum makes great spray paints in oodles of colors that are made specifically for metal surfaces. Complete project with a durable, clear coat [matte or shiny] of Rustoleum ~ lessens any paint chipping.

The possibilities for colors and designs are endless for these types of tins.

• Kathy

what kind of spray paint did you use?

• Sara Little

Try a light sanding before spray painting, this might help the paint stick to the tin better.
  • Adele Dennis

I was wondering what to do with some of my chocolate tins , thanks .