I have a composit kitchen sink that has turned cloudy over the yrs!!

Pam EvansAlo1931508Sonia Burrows
+32

It has turned cloudy (white) on the bottom and lower sides. How can I restore it? HELP please!!
  • Thomas Gear
    Thomas Gear

Coke and cooking foil

• Sharlene
    Sharlene

Not exactly a natural solution, but I have the same kind of sink and I have used Kaboom bathroom cleaner on it when it looks like that. It work just ok. Then I tried Lysol toilet cleaner for rust and lime. Took a damp cloth, poured some of the Olson on it and coated the sink with it. Left it on for 5 to 10 minutes and rinsed the sink. My sink looked brand new when dried.

• Sharon
    Sharon

Clean well with any cleaner. Dry. Then lightly rub thin coat of lemon oil over entire area. Don't use sink for several hours afterward. Will look as good as the day it was installed.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

Honey, replace your sink.

• Sharlene
    Sharlene

I'm sorry, that was supposed to be Lysol ...

• Norma Terry Sutton
    Norma Terry Sutton

A little oil will make it look like new - lemon oil, mineral oil, baby oil, olive oil...almost any kind of oil

• Clt7590141
    Clt7590141

I clean my composite sinks with Clorox GEL cleaner. Spray on, let set 5 minutes or more if heavily stained, rinse well and dry sink before using again. Have had composite sinks for 2 years and this has worked well for me.

• Carol
    Carol

Use baking soda mixed with mineral oil and scrub with a scotch brite sponge. Wipe with paper towel then rinse , repeat as needed. Then go over the sink with just mineral oil and wipe any excess with paper towels. Works like a charm and this is what our installer and the manufacturer recommended.

• Melody Keller
    Melody Keller

Use mineral oil

• Nancy
    Nancy

i have a white composite ( 8 yrs old) and i use those white mr clean sponges after the regular cleaning and it takes it to a new level. then i top it off with the oil

• Pallet Man
    Pallet Man

If the cleaners mentioned don't work, 320 to 600 grit wet-dry sand paper used with water will abrade away the stain and leave a smooth finish. I used to install these sinks for a living.

• Jud7522791
    Jud7522791

I clean mine with granite cleaner that cleans and shines, if that does not bring back your shine, after cleaning well put olive oil or coconut oil on cloth and wipe sink doown well, will recondition and shine.

• Diane Sharon-Heichel
    Diane Sharon-Heichel

I sprinkled dry baking power onto the dry sink surface. Then I put hydrogen peroxide on a sponge making it pretty wet. Then started working the peroxide into the soda. Once the soda was all reacting to the peroxide I spread out an even layer over the bottom of the sink and up as high as it needed to be. Let it dry. Again wet the sponge with peroxide and rubbed until it looked the way it should (not long at all) and rinsed well. Not much elbow grease required!

• Vee
    Vee

Have you tried barkeeper's friend ?

• Linda G Jones-Andrews
    Linda G Jones-Andrews

I use the magic eraser too....it works great!

• Suzan
    Suzan

I have a double black composite sink and have tried several of the comments. It's more like scratches. Can these be resurfaced with boat marine paint?

• Phil a
    Phil a

These sinks are a mixture of Acrylic (like Corian) and Stone "Dust" and don't easily stain but have a "grain" to them that collects minerals. If you don't have a water softener, it's probably calcium deposits. Vinegar or CLR might be in order to dissolve out the minerals. As mentioned, a Magic Eraser type sponge does pretty well, but you still need to get down into the grain of the sink. Using lots of elbow grease and polishing the sink surface with Granite or Marble Polishing Compound will smooth the surface to reduce the roughness of the grain and reduce the ability of minerals to "stick" in the microscopic crevices. Good luck... let us know what you do.

• Teresa
    Teresa

CLR is a good Idea but I have used Bartenders friend in so many ways it may help too. You can find it in lots of stores but I would use the powder in a small spot and check any kind of product out before using it all over. Hope this helps Teresa

• Jean Quintana
    Jean Quintana

WD-40 works great. I have a black composit granite sink too and this is what I do.

• Thelma Renton
    Thelma Renton

Manufacturers told us to dissolve a dishwasher tablet in it.

• Kath Patrick
    Kath Patrick

I have the same issue. We had to use CLR/Lime-Away, followed by scrubbing with Ajax. We had to repeat that process about 4 times. When we got it cleaned up, I made a spray of 3 parts water/1 part white vinegar/1 tsp dishwashing liquid. We spray the sink after every use to keep the mineral deposits at bay (and, yes, we have a water softener!) .

• Susan
    Susan

I was recently told that a Mr Clean magic eraser did the trick.

• Cmp6142733
    Cmp6142733

Try filling the sink with very hot to boiling water. Add some Oxiclean laundry detergent and let it stand for 3 hrs.

• Bre7701622
    Bre7701622

I use to use "magic eraser" on ours...until we moved & now I have porcelain & use it on that too!

• Nancy Perlman Simonds
    Nancy Perlman Simonds

We have had our sink for about 7 years. We have no water softener either and don't have much of a problem. I try to make sure I clean the sink each night after use and use a sponge to wipe it clean. I will use a scrubby pad with dish detergent and rinse then use a sponge to dry the surface about once weekly.

• J. Jacobs
    J. Jacobs

If it is mineral deposits use vinegar or lemon juice. I read you are NOT supposed to use Comet/Ajax on these sinks. We have heavily mineralized water where I live and I use vinegar or lemon juice to clean all of that build up. Sometimes it takes several soakings before it comes off.

• Sandy
    Sandy

Bar keepers cleanser

• Bj
    Bj

3 drops of dawn dish detergent,1/2 a cup of vinegar, 1/2 a cup of borax. Mix in a spray bottle shake well stay and scrubber with a sos soap pad and repeat till gone. May take several times depending on how bad the build up.

• Deanna Hoflin
    Deanna Hoflin

Try using baby oil to bring the shine back after cleaning it with a magic eraser.

• Sonia Burrows
    Sonia Burrows

Using a magic eraser is like using a fine sandpaper, so be very careful...unless in a few years you plan on replacing whatever it is you use it on.

• Alo1931508
    Alo1931508

I would fill your sink with hot water from the tap add1/2 cup Javax a bit of dish soap,let soak till water is cool.Works for me.

• Pam Evans
    Pam Evans

Someone just told me that Dawn is not good in these types of sinks. I was surprised to hear this has anyone else heard this?