Caps and Bricks Do a Patio Make

$200
36 Months

WARNING: Do not bother reading this post if you are a perfectionist!!! I am one desperate woman and I needed a patio and pathways around my home. I was tired of walking on dirt (and mud when it rained)!!!
This project took about 3 plus years to finally complete. The reason I give a warning is because I did not level, spread gravel or sand or lay down landscape fabric. I just started putting down the caps and bricks. I came up with a pattern of sorts and changed my mind a few times. I really went crazy when I decided to spray paint the caps and bricks.
This was one of the patterns I came up with. Four caps and two bricks. I alternated the direction of the bricks. I was also working off of an existing path that I did not want to redo (probably should have) which was mainly made up of caps. My painting idea melded that section with the new. If you try this, be aware that you will have to dig each middle section out in order to have the brick and cap level (it's a lot of digging).
Here you can see where it was mainly caps and where I started the brick and cap pattern. I used gray and navy blue spray paint and gray and tan caps. There's some red caps interspersed throughout because I already had them and I was being frugal.
This section was added last year. You can see how I alternated the direction of the bricks and even the color pattern (maybe I am OCD).
This path was two caps across and had been in existence for many years. I decided to take the whole path out and redo it and make it three caps wide (four in a few places). I made somewhat of a pattern and used gray and red caps. I added the scallop border this year . . . again a lot of digging.
This area is my clothes line and path to the barn and kennel. It is only two wide and you can see it isn't quite right and I will have to redo eventually and make it three wide (when I am less tired!!). Our propane tank is back here and this area is secluded from view. Good thing as something is really chewing up my grass!
Next I turned my attention to the east side and created a small patio area again using my caps and bricks pattern. I decided to use different colors of blue on the bricks: teal, light blue, turquoise, navy blue, royal blue. Always pairing the blue with a gray.
South meets east. I am liking my scalloped edge. I added the scallop as an after thought. You have to be careful walking around corners as you can trip!
Up next was a path from my front porch to connect all the walkways. Here I decided to make a small patio using all caps and again I used spray paint but this time I chose wine and white. Most of my garden blooms in pink and white in this area.
You can see by not putting down a base it allows weeds and dirt to come to the surface. Some of the bricks or caps will sink and you will need to build them back up. Since I am not OCD I can live with having a wild viola spring up! You also may get a cracked cap if not level, but to be honest this has only happened a few times and it was where a tree root was underneath.
Finally, the pathway leading up to our most used entry is finished! I may paint a few more caps to create a better pattern. I did sweep sand into crevices but it doesn't seem to last and can't compete with dirt. Again, in my view, a small price to pay in order to have a walkway.
I can't tell you enough that if you are determined you can do it!! I did not have any help other than my husband driving the pickup to get caps and bricks. I unloaded or hauled every single one and placed each one. I just kept telling myself when it's done how great it will be to walk on cement!!

• Cement Bricks and Caps  (Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware stores)
  • Spray paint..gloss or flat  (Walmart, Orchard Supply, haradware stores)
  • Shovel, trusty hand trowel, rake  (On hand)

• Eroque022810

How did you spray paint them once in the ground or in the garage? And did you do an even number and just go with it or did you plan out how many of each color you would need?

• Lovesunique

I sprayed all of the bricks outside before placing because that design was in the works. The caps that were already in place I sprayed in place and used cardboard to avoid over spray. After two years some of the paint is wearing off but I will just respray. When I did the patio with the small table, those were in place and I figured out a pattern with the wine and white paint.

• Jayne

How do you keep weeds and grass growing up in the cracks?

• Marie

I use a layer of baking soda . Just pour it on top.
  • Angela

Did you place the caps and bricks on grass or was it already just dirt?

• Lovesunique

One area had been taken over by old grass and weeds. In fact, a plumbing dig out pile of dirt had been sitting for years and I had to refill and move that around. Most of the areas were bare dirt because they were "pathways" and one area was where we had a deck and it was removed to make a courtyard. I created the "courtyard" by planting hedges for walls. Out in front I even created a "live" arbor with my privets!

• Sherrylynn Brooks Berlin

Awesome 😁 looks amazing
    • Lovesunique

Thank you so much. Five years later and I decided to redo the clothes line area and make it wider. Oh my, I am getting old...it was killing me to reset the caps.

• Chris aka monkey

@Lovesunique i think you did a freaking fantastic job and i am so glad i read this, i too am sick of the mud from rain and i do not have the oompa to dig and dig so i am going to just lay them on the grass too just from the driveway to the door and i am going to get more solar lights to help to see, i am 69 and have a multitude of health issues so you doing this has inspired me to go to work thanks xx