Watering Can Makeover

I just wanted to add something I did with this last night! It is awesome! I will mention it at bottom of post. So anyway... I found this old galvanized watering can at the thrift store for just a couple of bucks. I finally got around to doing something with it!
I was going back and forth in my mind if I should paint stripes or do the gems. Well I had went to the dollar store a couple of days ago and picked up some more gems. This is the before pic
After I sanded down the rust and gave it a good cleaning...I took it into the house. I started with a line going around the bottom edge. I dabbed on the glue half way around and started adding the gems
When I finished with that I started playing with the gems on the table.
Aren't these glass fillers pretty! Love the dollar stores.
I decided to make flowers! So I made 3 on each side in the center of can. To keep it together while drying I used tape to keep them in place.
As you can see above I added another line of gems around the top.
This is how I added crystals to the spout. I unwrapped a paperclip and cut in half. (see below) Then I wrapped the end of a 3" piece of wire (seen below) around a small bead at top of crystal strand. I then wrapped the other end of wire around the paper clip... I then put some 'Goop' on the hook like end of paperclip, and stuck it through the spout hole. The glue keeps it in, along with the 'U' hook on paperclip.
This is what it looked like when completed!
And that was it! I hung it next to one of the hummingbird feeders.
I decided to move it to one of the gardens.....looks like the plant is being watered. Last night I came up with a idea. You know those small led lights that come on a timer? A pic of them is below. Anyway, I put the timer part in the bucket and wove the lights into the crystal strands, and it looks so awesome at night...like real water...so pretty....so sparkly
check out more of my creations at: kelleysdiy.com

• Glass gems  (dollar store)
  • Goop glue  (had on hand)
  • Crystals  (had on hand)

Linda kelley

• Mindy

How did you attache the drops of water?

• Linda kelley

Hi Mindy, I had purchased the crystal strands at Michaels Craft store in the beads department. It's sold in those strands. In between the larger crystals there are small bead crystals. The small bead at the end is what I wrapped the wire around. Then I wrapped the other end of wire around part of paper clip that was cut in half.

• Barbara

I saw this jewel this past summer and today it popped up again. I have a large galvanized tub I have been wanting to update. Can I apply these beads over a painted surface? Right now it is in it's natural finish, needs cleaning etc. I am not a decorative painting type, so I thought I could paint it and then decorate w/ these beads. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

• MIchelle Poss

what gauge of wire did you use??
    • MIchelle Poss

Thank you Kelley. Looking forward to seeing more of your creativity!
      Michelle Poss- North Platte, NE