Easy DIY Decor: Hand-Formed Cement (Over Glass) Vases

Update: I want to mention that I started a Concrete and Cement Furniture/Decor/Garden Community Board on Pinterest. I'd love it if you joined in the fun! Update: Check out the Project Gallery on DIY Furniture Studio to see more cement/concrete furniture and decor with tutorials. Update: I want to thank you all for your lovely comments and questions, especially about how to color the cement vases. These comments/questions prompted me to explore this topic. I have done many projects using latex paint and colored sand as cement/concrete colorants. These cement-covered glass vases are both easy and fun to make!

DIY Cement Vases

First, get yourself an inexpensive glass vase, or get a glass bottle from your recycle bin. You will need a few other things like a dust mask, gloves, anchoring cement, measuring cups, water, and a mixing bowl. I'll describe here one way of making the cement vases. Check out the link below for two more variations for different styles of vases.

Use Anchoring Cement and Water

I put one cup of dry anchoring cement in a bowl and added 1/4 cup of water. Once you add the water, you have about 5 minutes to work the cement before it sets up (hardens).

I mixed the cement to a plastic, putty-like consistency that I could pick up in one big blob.

Then the fun begins! Break off a portion of the cement blob and start spreading it on your vase. Some of the cement oozes off and won't stay in place. That's okay. Just keep putting it back on and spreading it out.

After a few minutes, you might start to think that this is not going to end well.

But it will! The cement gradually hardens enough to stay on the vase. Then your efforts can be focused on smoothing out the cement.

Then just that quick the cement is completely hardened, and you have a cement vase. You can do touch-up smoothing with sandpaper or mix a small batch of cement for repair.

These vases were made with the thick mix.

The variations described in the blog post follow the same general procedure, but the amount of water added to the mix is different, and the cement is worked in slightly different ways.

Use a medium thickness mix for this style.
This one is made using a thinner cement mix.

This DIY decor project is perfect for "making it your own" by the choice of the glass vase or bottle and the cement mix consistency . I hope this post gave you some information as well as inspiration to create cement vases to enhance the uniqueness of your decor. Stop by my DIY Furniture Studio blog at the link below for the detailed tutorial.

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
15 Perfectly Round Tables
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Jen Panguluri

• Nicole

Did you reinforce this at all? If not have you found that they crack over time or stay comepletely intact? I considered reinforcing with fiber glass fibers but it is rather expensive

• Nancy

Can you add colour to the cement?

• User

Уou can use white cement and add colors to it.

• Dorcas Wright Berthold

Does anyone know if Quickcrete could be used the same way?

• Wendy P.

I was thinking the same thing about painting or a glaze on it

• Tonya

I'm always looking for new ways to enhance planters!!!! tfs!