Jen Panguluri
Jen Panguluri
  • Cincinnati, OH

Easy DIY Decor: Hand-Formed Cement (Over Glass) Vases

Update: I want to mention that I started a Concrete and Cement Furniture/Decor/Garden Community Board on Pinterest. I'd love it if you joined in the fun!
Update: Check out the Project Gallery on DIY Furniture Studio to see more cement/concrete furniture and decor with tutorials.
Update: I want to thank you all for your lovely comments and questions, especially about how to color the cement vases.
DIY Cement Vases
DIY Cement Vases
First, get yourself an inexpensive glass vase, or get a glass bottle from your recycle bin. You will need a few other things like a dust mask, gloves, anchoring cement, measuring cups, water, and a mixing bowl. I'll describe here one way of making the cement vases. Check out the link below for two more variations for different styles of vases.
Use Anchoring Cement and Water
Use Anchoring Cement and Water
I put one cup of dry anchoring cement in a bowl and added 1/4 cup of water. Once you add the water, you have about 5 minutes to work the cement before it sets up (hardens).
easy diy decor hand formed cement over glass vases, concrete masonry, crafts, home decor, how to
I mixed the cement to a plastic, putty-like consistency that I could pick up in one big blob.
Then the fun begins! Break off a portion of the cement blob and start spreading it on your vase. Some of the cement oozes off and won't stay in place. That's okay. Just keep putting it back on and spreading it out.
After a few minutes, you might start to think that this is not going to end well.
But it will! The cement gradually hardens enough to stay on the vase. Then your efforts can be focused on smoothing out the cement.
Then just that quick the cement is completely hardened, and you have a cement vase. You can do touch-up smoothing with sandpaper or mix a small batch of cement for repair.
These vases were made with the thick mix.
The variations described in the blog post follow the same general procedure, but the amount of water added to the mix is different, and the cement is worked in slightly different ways.
Use a medium thickness mix for this style.
This one is made using a thinner cement mix.
This DIY decor project is perfect for "making it your own" by the choice of the glass vase or bottle and the cement mix consistency . I hope this post gave you some information as well as inspiration to create cement vases to enhance the uniqueness of your decor. Stop by my DIY Furniture Studio blog at the link below for the detailed tutorial.

• Glass vases and bottles  (thrift store, Hobby Lobby, recycle bin, Dollar Tree)
  • Dust mask  (Home Depot)
  • Gloves  (Harbor Freight)
Jen Panguluri

• Merrilee Morrison-Cotter

Willthis work over plastic? I am thinking of doing this for my large plant pots on my patio.
  • Nicole

Did you reinforce this at all? If not have you found that they crack over time or stay comepletely intact? I considered reinforcing with fiber glass fibers but it is rather expensive

• Nicole

• Chandra

Wow!! I love the finished look👏👏

• GINNY SUN

I’m truly inspired by this project. 👍😘. I’m going to reuse my glass vases that I received as gifts with flowers in them. And regift my projects with more flowers. 👍😘