Carlene M
Carlene M
  • Dublin, GA
Asked on Jun 8, 2012

What is this on my grass and my neighbor's grass? It's greyish at a distance. This is a close up on 2.5" tall grass.

Mar8105255ElaineMartha Evans
+12

Something on my grass.
Something on my grass.
  • Carroll A

I am not sure.. try google and search "slime mold in grass" and see it that maybe what you have.

• Teresa D

Eeeeeuw! lol ... I'm sorry ... I know that wasn't helpful. If it is slime mold, it isn't harmful. Just yucky looking. It is caused by too much water, warm days and cool nights. I read you can just wash it off - which seems counterproductive since too much moisture seems to be the problem.

• Jean M

can I make a guess?, some sort of fungus or maybe eggs

• Carlene M

My Oldest kid found a description (guess he wasn't busy at work XD)and it's slime mold . Been damp and rainy for about a week here (THANK GOODNESS! we need the rain!) I'll scalp mow the area and make sure the mower blows it away from my new veggie garden. Maybe the heat in the next couple of days will dry it up. Thanks all :)

• Jean M

don't scalp it to close or you'll blow off the topsoil and your roots of the grass will be exposed to the sunlight...that's not good :)

• Walter Reeves

I think Jean is right - mow at normal height and wait for environmental conditions to change and eliminate the slime mold.

• Carlene M

I will just cut it a notch down from normal next time. Or may just go cut it out by hand now and remove it. Looking at our forecast, 50% chance rain for the next 5 days. We don't pamper the back acre like the rest of our yard. Was just the first time I've seen this. And having a new garden this year in half of it, I don't want to be spraying stuff (poisons) if I don't need to. :)

• Frances B

get some neem oil mix 1/4 cup to gallon of water and spray all over that

• Mitzi Keeton

You can try spreading cornmeal on the affected areas. Many nurseries carry cornmeal.. it will stop a lot of mold/fungus problems on the lawn. Also, be sure to wash off the bottom of your mower after you cut.. leaving it dirty will spread the problem next time you mow!

• Lynn

How about grocery cornmeal? Is it different? Probably cheaper too.

• PEGGY ROBISON

How to get rid of June Grass

• Martha Evans

Spider mites

• Elaine

Since you live in Georgia, I have no idea but if this occurred up here in Ontario, we would most likely diagnose this as a fungal type of growth. Càn you snip off a piece, bag it and go to a nursery for their advice?

• Mar8105255

UGA has agricultural extension office in every county. They should be able to help you. http://ugaextension.org/county-offices/laurens/agriculture-and-natural-resources.html" target="_blank">http://ugaextension.org/county-offices/lauren...