Ginny B
Ginny B
  • Auburn, CA

White work table in my garden

ValerieGinny BGloria Duy
+7

I want to cover my garden table with a botanical print fabric to tone down the glare on my white table. Does anyone know what glue I would use and what I would use to seal it with that would be waterproof.
  • KMS Woodworks

rather than fabric, which I think would be really tough to keep clean...even if sealed. Why not just tone it down with some slightly darker and less shinny paint?

• Diann

How about oilcloth?

• Ginny B

Thanks for your comments. I really like them both and still may do one of them instead of the fabric. Just thought this piece of fabric I have would look good in the garden.

• Ginny B

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Sia@South 47th

Hi @Ginny B Just noticed that you are really close to me geographically speaking. Anyway @KMS Woodworks had a great idea! Here is just an #inexpensive, #frugal thought since you want to use that fabric. If your garden table is wood then: sand the wood lightly, wipe clean. Mix up some wood glue, plain ole Elmer's and water, about 10% Wood Glue and equal amts of Elmer's & water. Lay the fabric down, paint it with the 'glue mix'. Let dry. Then seal it with Marine urethane. If it's not wood then what material is it?

• Ginny B

Thank you Sia, I knew I had seen that idea somewhere a long time ago and couldn't remember what they did exactly. My table is formica and has several layers of urethane on it now.

• Gloria Duy

I covered a tabletop with gift wrap paper and Mod Podged it. It has held up for years. Fabric should hold up well if sealed with glue or Mod Podge

• Ginny B

Hi Gloria,I actually thought about Mod Podge but I didn't know if it would hold up outside. Thanks

• Ginny B

I really like the oil cloth idea. Just thought of the fabric idea because I have a piece that would be perfect for the garden.

• Valerie

I think oil cloth would be the ideal solution. It will fade, but it is inexpensive so could be replaced when that happens.