Gynarchy B
Gynarchy B
  • Centerville, GA
Asked on Jun 8, 2012

should i transfer this rose plant to the ground? what do you think?

MssmatchCatherine SmithMarg C
+17

q should i transfer this rose plant to the ground what do you think, gardening
  • 911 Address Signs

Very pretty atleast you have a dozen of roses!

• Marg C

if you do, it will do just fine. probably better, if that's possible. :) it's gorgeous.

• 3po3

This seems to be doing great. I would consider waiting until the fall when it's a little cooler to transplant. A lot of plants don't handle transplanting in summer heat very well.

• CAROL H

I agree with Steve. Fall is the ideal planting time. It looks beautiful and content in the pot.

• Jeanette S

As much as I absolutly love roses, I do not seem to have a knack for them. Good luck. I will be interested in seeing the comments.

• Brenda B

or a bigger pot

• Ann S

ground for sure

• Cathy B

don't fix what ain't broke;)

• Rebecca D

Don't have the green thumb for roses! :>(

• Pam Z

is it sitting inc sun in the pot? if so ya , work the soil well and ,i wouldnt disturb the rose soil. the ground should be cooler than than being in the pot....as long as it is sitting in the sun right now water well

• Gynarchy B

I planted one rose plant on the ground a year ago but it did not even grow. It is still alive though but not healthy. Location is where morning sun is and afternoon shade. My worry is it might not do good on the ground like the other one. I would definitely want it to grow bigger and better.

Most roses want more than morning sun and afternoon shade, Gynarchy.

• P R

so beautiful

• Gynarchy B

thank you everyone.

• Marg C

If you love the look of it being in the pot then why not plant it in a bottomless pot. That's what I did this year with one of my roses. In the spring before it started to grow I placed a pot which the bottom had come off of (due to being left out over the winter) over it and it looks adorable, so I plan on doing this with my other rose bushes next Spring :) I will post a picture when I get the chance.

• Gynarchy B

Thank you Douglas. Yes my roses gets a lot of sunlight.

• Gynarchy B

Marg, i would appreciate the picture. I have no idea what bottomless pot is. lol.

• Marg C

sure...I'll take a pic soon and show you. Before the rose started to grow this spring I placed a pot without a bottom on, it over the rose :) now it appears that my rose is growing out of a small pot. very cute.

• Catherine Smith

Douglas is right, roses need 6-8 hours of full sun/day to do well. If you don't have the correct location, you can always increase the size of your pot.

• Mssmatch

Some do well in a pot others need lots of room for root growth to spread, what variety is it.