Gina L
Gina L
  • Lakeland, FL

Plants I Need Names For

Cyndi NeumannGina LNatalie Carroll
+10

can anyone help me ?
q plants i need names for, gardening
some kind of lily or pretty grass?
some kind of lily or pretty grass?
should get rid of the thistles
should get rid of the thistles
  • Barb Rosen

Hard to tell because the whole plant is not visible, but the first one looks like ironweed, the second like a liriope and the third is thistle (which can be very invasive). I would get the thistle out of there or you will have a whole yard full!

• Nancy Hand

I'm with you Barb, the thistle has got to go! put it in a bag so seeds don't get all over the place. Then trash it. :) The lily looking one might be nutgrass, can't really tell either that or liriope like Barb said.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

heh yep it would be helpful to have some context for the pictures. They only one I can say for sure is the thistle:)

• Gina L

Thanks I'll post better photos tomorrow. Just snapped those this morning. I'll go fpr more detail.Thanks evryone

• Larose LoganOakes

FYI, the thistle is what the little girl in the movie Braveheart gives to the boy who just buried his father before his uncle Argyle comes to get him. William the lad keeps it with him all of those years and he gives it back to her when they meet again as adults.She is the one that he secretly marries and she gets killed early on in the movie. I just thought that you might like to know. Kind of romantic for it being only a thistle! :)

• Deanna Riles-Cox

Ironweed is a member of the aster family that's what the purple flower looks like. It grows wild here in kentucky

• Tammy Goodyear

The second plant is liriope grass. The third plant is thistle and is extremely invasive and considered a noxious weed in many states. Get rid of the bloom on the thistle BEFORE it goes to seed. Dig up the plant and dispose of being careful because it is full of thorns.

• Gina L

Yous guys are great. Glad I found this site.Larose i saw Braveheart BUT now I have to watch it again. i don't remember that part. Thank you all for the help.

• Patricia W

The center plant looks like Common Spiderwort. It may not be, but it sure reminds me of it!

• Natalie Carroll

The purple flowers on the left are called "Baldwins Ironweed" here's a link to the site where I discovered it on Bing....http://www.gpnc.org/baldwins.htm

• Gina L

thanks Natalie

• Cyndi Neumann

The butterflies love this milk thistle! I believe the monarchs use it for their breeding? Smiles, Cyndi