Hanging Succulent Garden

Recently I discovered that succulent flowers are perennials. My mother-in-law made the cutest succulent garden in her birdbath last year, and it came back with abundance this year. After seeing that, I decided to make my own succulent container garden.
hanging succulent garden, flowers, gardening, repurposing upcycling, succulents
I found this copper grill basket in my shed one day that my husband had never used, so I used it as my container.
To keep the potting soil from slipping through the holes, I layer inside of the basket with rocks. I used large rocks for the bottom layer and smaller rocks to fill in any gaps.
I added the potting soil and succulents next. I used a variety of different succulents that I found at Home Depot, and filled in the rest with Sedum.
Lastly, I tied rope to the handles to make it a hanging planter. I hung it on a shepherd's hook in my back yard.
I have it in a full sun area, and it's holding up nicely. Too see more details, visit the link below.
TheHoneycombHome

• Angela Lozito Rogers

I have a new addiction to succulents... I also have a beautiful concrete birdbath. It has no cracks in it. Suggestions! Can I make it into a succulent garden without having the drainage? I thought if I had enough to layers of stone, maybe... I live in Florida.. So it would be a year planter... Tks for your help...

• Patricia Cresto Fitzgerald

what do you do with it in the winter?

• Rjd7786542

I bring it in so the plants would not freeze. It gets cold enough here in East Texas that plants will freeze.

• Jean Schnick

Won't watering or rain wash the soil out those holes?

• Maggie Smith

I add - depending on size of pot or container - a coffee filter to the bottom so the soil doesn't leach out. If you use a USED coffee filter(without washing it first) the brown blends in better than that stark white.

• Christine Millership

Here in England everyone who gardens seems to have hanging baskets outside filled with geraniums, nepeta, ivy, fuschias, etc and our winters can kill even the hardy perennial varieties, unless it's a mild one. I was looking for something different. For one reason, it's expensive to plane 6 baskets up every spring and then we have to wait for them to develop and grow up! The other reason is the cost: unless you buy tiny plug plants or sow seeds, it's an expensive undertaking and if for any reason your plants fail, it's down to the garden centre to buy what's needed at any cost! This is a great idea! I love succulents, and gave a broken terracotta pot a new life as a base for lots of succulents, planted in an arty way for effect. I'm now going to buy my succulents and plant them up ready for next year, using some babies I've already got plus lots of new plants.........thanks for bringing up the subject of succulents, as it's given me this great idea!

• Men10586314

Beautiful idea! Especially living in apt. & succulents multiply , especially chicken & hens & variety of colors I have found