Built-In Desk Reveal

We recently did a three room makeover by painting and adding wainscoting. It REALLY made such a difference in our house and we’ve been LOVING the facelift! What I didn’t show you, was the BIG nook in our family room that we left out of our makeover! Beware…. It’s pretty ugly.

We purposely did not add wainscoting, or paint this poor sad corner, because we knew it’s day was coming… and I’m happy to say – that day is today! Before I get to the good stuff, let me show you a before picture.... YIKES! Pretty bad, right?!

My husband and I decided the project was a little too big for us to tackle on our own, so we hired our friend who specializes in woodworking to build the desk for us. We worked very close with him on the design of the desk, because we knew EXACTLY what we wanted. He worked for weeks building the separate pieces of the desk at his shop, and when all the pieces were ready, he came to our house and installed it. We cleared out the space before he came, so it was all ready for the transformation!

He removed the trim temporarily and installed the desk piece by piece.

I knew I was IN LOVE the first time I saw it installed... and it wasn't even painted yet!

Our neighbor is a professional painter and has a sprayer (it is so quick and easy!), so we asked him to come over and spray the desk for us. My husband installed the hardware and it really just finished off the look!

Then it was time for the fun part... using it!

I picked up most of the accessories from Home Goods and Target. I'm planning on putting a bulletin board or calendar in the space above the computer - I just haven't quite decided what I want there yet!

Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
The Cofran Home

• Marc
    Marc

I wonder how you built and finished the desktop surface -- can you notice any divisions between pieces of wood, did you use regular semi-gloss paint or did you add any shiny coating on it for cleanups?

• Sharon
    Sharon

Wow! Really good job! I so much want to do this! And why not a bulletin board with a calendar on it??

• Connie
    Connie

is your wood shop friend available to hire?

• Debbie
    Debbie

LOVE your desk suite!!

Would love to recreate it around 70” window.

Also would have to hire someone.....would appreciate a price range for what I should expect —may break my retirement budget!

Thanks!!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

For anyone considering duplicating this project, while you have everything away from the wall and before you affix the countertop, I would highly recommend either moving the existing baseboard level electrical outlets higher above the counter top/in between the shelves, or have additional outlets installed.

Go the extra step and put in outlet boxes that have integrated usb charging ports. This will eliminate cumbersome extension cords, and crawling under the countertop to recharge mobile devices and to plug additional electric items, such as the vacuum cleaner.