Built-In Desk Reveal

We recently did a three room makeover by painting and adding wainscoting. It REALLY made such a difference in our house and we’ve been LOVING the facelift! What I didn’t show you, was the BIG nook in our family room that we left out of our makeover! Beware…. It’s pretty ugly.

We purposely did not add wainscoting, or paint this poor sad corner, because we knew it’s day was coming… and I’m happy to say – that day is today! Before I get to the good stuff, let me show you a before picture.... YIKES! Pretty bad, right?!

My husband and I decided the project was a little too big for us to tackle on our own, so we hired our friend who specializes in woodworking to build the desk for us. We worked very close with him on the design of the desk, because we knew EXACTLY what we wanted. He worked for weeks building the separate pieces of the desk at his shop, and when all the pieces were ready, he came to our house and installed it. We cleared out the space before he came, so it was all ready for the transformation!

He removed the trim temporarily and installed the desk piece by piece.

I knew I was IN LOVE the first time I saw it installed... and it wasn't even painted yet!

Our neighbor is a professional painter and has a sprayer (it is so quick and easy!), so we asked him to come over and spray the desk for us. My husband installed the hardware and it really just finished off the look!

Then it was time for the fun part... using it!

I picked up most of the accessories from Home Goods and Target. I'm planning on putting a bulletin board or calendar in the space above the computer - I just haven't quite decided what I want there yet!

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
The Cofran Home

• Marc

I wonder how you built and finished the desktop surface -- can you notice any divisions between pieces of wood, did you use regular semi-gloss paint or did you add any shiny coating on it for cleanups?

• Sharon

Wow! Really good job! I so much want to do this! And why not a bulletin board with a calendar on it??

• Connie

is your wood shop friend available to hire?

• Jo Ellen

I love this, and it’s almost perfect for what we need. Thanks for the inspiration! Do you, by chance, sell the plans?

• Peggy J

So no question just wanted to say THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!