Jamie
Jamie
  • Rochester, NY

What is this?

JamieJeanne aka GrandmaCoffeePayge Carter
+9

I recently bought a home and the previous homeowners have a few gardens. I found a whole bunch of this today near some blueberry bushes. Does anyone know what it could be? Looks like some type of herb with a stem that looks like celery. It is somewhat clear and squishy.
what is this, gardening
what is this, gardening
  • Nancy Hand

I thought it looks like a Dahlia but I don't think it would be by a Blueberry bush. ??? :/

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

hmm..sorry I can't really tell much from the pictures. Does it appear to have a bloom in progress at all?

• Leona G

Could you post a pic of the leaves,also a bloom would help

• Vicki

definitely not blueberry bush

• Caley's Culinaries

A lot of soft stemmed plants have that kind of stem. We'll need a pic that shows the shape of the plant and the growth habit - how it branches, height, etc.

• Fenya Kashergen

I agree with the Dalia definition. Wait and see on it. If it is a Dalia, it will begin blooming soon.

• Cindy tustin

I believe it is a variety of begonia.

• Jamie

I know it's not a blueberry bush but that is where the previous homeowners have it planted. I can't post more pictures of it yet since I am out of town. There are no buds on them at all. Maybe I need to wait longer for it to grow more.

• Dawn MW

I was always told, that when you move into a new home, you should wait a year to see what surprises you find in the yard over the seasons. It can be quite painful but sometime well worth the wait!! Watch/draw/name/collate what is growing through the seasons. :)

• Payge Carter

looks kinds like Basil

• Jeanne aka GrandmaCoffee

It's not Basil. I have Basil plants and that isn't one. It does look like a flower I have seen before though. Maybe a Dahlia. I would wait till next year as was suggested. Dahlia's are very pretty flowers.

• Jamie

Here are a few more pictures now that it has had time to grow more.