Ginny .Cunningham
Ginny .Cunningham
  • Louisville, KY

Best way to get wallpaper off that has been on walls

Stevie.powersSusanSooze
+7

wallpaper at least 30 yrs or more old. Best way to get off without scrapping and gauging the walls with razor blade.
  • Carole

Hire a steamer and then you don't need to scrape so much, it should just lift so much easier and come off in long chunks! I remember doing this in the UK about 25 years ago. We had that wallpaper that has wood chip in it and gets painted and it was gross and without the steamer almost impossible to remove. If you cannot find a steamer, try soaking the walls down with a wet sponge before scraping and make sure to use the right type of scraper so that you don't damage the walls so much - not as good but better than nothing!

• Liz Hardwick

if you can get a piece loose and pull some of the top layer off, you can spray on fabric softener, (like Downey) the generic works also. Then scrap it off with a plastic sheet rock spatula. Just did this yesterday

• Seidman Paperhanging

Vinegar & water may be best. If you use fabric softener make sure to give it a clean rinse or paint may not stick to it as well. I like to use a metal flexible 3" spackle knife. Romans decorating products has a product Pirana that works pretty well. What ever you do, don't use a paper tiger as most people use to much pressure and that can ruin your walls.

• Gwen

I used a spray bottle of warm water with a little vinegar and a scrubbing sponge (the kind you use for non-stick pans.) Get the paper really wet, let it soak in and keep it wet. Most will peel off easily. Use the sponge to scrub off the remaining glue.

• Ginny .Cunningham

thank everyone will use these tips this weekend

• Rosalie M

As suggested above, rent a steamer. The secret is to have it very wet (just before drip stage), and it will just lift off. It's a messy job, but somebody has to do it.

• Susan

I 1st 'score' the paper with a roller that has lots of small teeth on wheels [buy at wallpaper/paint stores] ! I go all over the paper with the tool~ up, down and sideways ... don't use a lot of pressure or you'll leave marks in the sheetrock. Allows the moisture to penetrate through the paper. Also have patience!!! Allow 10-15 minutes for whatever you do to work! While your waiting for one batch, start on the next....

• Sooze

Try Windex after scoring the wall.

• Susan

After scoring, I have 'sheets' of what looks like 'non-woven fabric -medium weight' (used in sewing to reinforce linings)..after getting it soaking wet and still dripping... smooth on wall and wait about 15-20 minutes. Paper just peels off w/o any fuss!!! I use them over and over and dry before putting away for next time~

• Stevie.powers

FILL a spray bottle with warm water add a capfull of liquid downey shake. Spray. Leave on for 15 minutes Use large putty knife or plastic cooking flipper Make sure to not to put too much pressure on either tool EASY PEASY