Stamped Tablecloth

$50
1 Minute

I never truly had an appreciation for pineapples until after I moved away from my home, the south. Now, as they begin to make a new appearance on clothing, home decor and the like, I think back to all of the pineapples I saw on front porches and in homes when I was growing up. The pineapple is a symbol of hospitality in the south, and hospitality runs through my veins. I'm proud to be from the south and, as I've mentioned a bazillion times before, I love to entertain. Since I was in need of a tablecloth for my bare, glass kitchen table, I felt it only fitting to use a pineapple stamp as part of my design. I'm pretty pleased with the result.
I started off with a pattern for my stamp -- using the cross fold creases to start my stamping -- however, I quickly lost my alignment once I started seeing double pineapples in my head, so I sort of just "winged it" (or is it "wung it..? not sure...the point is, I lost focus on my pattern), and though my OCD is bothered by the random placement of the majority of the pineapples, I'm kind of digging the overall look of this no sew table cloth.
Supplies:
-linen blend fabric (I decided paying a little more for 100% linen wasn't totally worth it for me, as I have a 2 year old, and I know he'll stain it up. I got a blend instead, and I think it looks just as nice. I purchased a little under 1.5 yards for my 42" (diameter) glass table.)
-Speedball black ink (8 oz.) ***VERY IMPORTANT TIP: Make sure you purchase the FABRIC Speedball black ink. I made the mistake of purchasing the one pictured here, not realizing until AFTER I washed my table cloth that it was for wood/paper/cardboard. Needless to say, I now have to start over completely on my table cloth!
-pineapple stamp (This stamp came with 2 small ink squares -- a yellow and a green -- but I decided to go with black so it was more neutral.)
-paper plate (optional)
Not pictured here:
-iron
-scissors
-measuring tape
-small paint brush
STEP 1: Arrange and Cut Fabric
I'm sure there is a more accurate way to cut the fabric, however, I wasn't too worried about my edges being 100% perfect so I laid my fabric out on my table, ensuring that it looked even on all sides. Then, I took my measuring tape to measure the edge of the table to the end of the fabric on the shortest parts--I measured roughly 6" on the shortest parts. Once I got my measurement, I took my scissors and cut the points off by following the the shortest ends of the fabric--essentially eyeballing a uniform length from the edge of the table to the edge of the fabric.
Next, I folded the fabric at the natural crease down the middle, then folded it on itself again. Since I had already cut the points off of my fabric, it was already somewhat of a half circle so I just cleaned up the edges a bit. Still, I know the fabric isn't a perfect circle but once it laid on the table, I couldn't tell, and I was okay with that.
STEP 2: Stamp Fabric
After my fabric was cut, I laid it out on the floor and started stamping. I poured some of my ink onto my paper plate and dabbed my stamp in the ink -- I found that even though I tried to very lightly dab the ink, it was still entirely too much on the stamp, which is why I switched to using a small paint brush (not pictured). I used enough ink to brush on to the stamp so I could still see all of the cuts in the stamp, then pushed it down evenly onto my fabric. As I mentioned previously, I started at the inner corner of my center crease and worked my way out with a pattern; however, this didn't last because I started losing focus on my pattern and also didn't realize until I was halfway done with one side that I had been going in somewhat of a curve. My advise would be to use a yard stick or level to have as a guide if you want to have a perfect pattern.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this table cloth came out. I'm totally in love with the pineapples and the good thing with this project is that it's super easy, so if the pattern (or lack thereof) really starts getting to me, I can always start over with a new piece of fabric, since I'll always have the stamp and I really didn't use a whole lot of the ink.
*The total cost of this project was $45-50, but only because I didn't have any of the materials on hand. The fabric itself was about $12, so now that I have the stamp and ink, it would only cost me the price of the fabric to create more of these tablecloths.

• 1.5 yards linen blend fabric  (JoAnn Fabric)
  • Pineapple stamp  (Scoutmob)
  • FABRIC Speedball ink  (Amazon)

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Perfectly Round Tables
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look

• Amy Cleveland

Off topic - Candleholders I love the tablecloth, but I can't stop looking at the wall science cardholders in your first picture. Where are they from?

• Robin Jones Ramberg

I love it. I am going to try it. One question, do you wash the fabric before you stamp it?