Jessica
Jessica
  • Charlotte, NC

DIY Bed Crown & Crib Canopy Tutorial

$80

Editor's Note: The following project is not harmful to children if done correctly and used safely. This is only intended for home decor and design, not as a functioning curtain or canopy. Please make sure to keep out of reach of children when the the crib is in use. Enjoy the creativity!

I have always loved canopy beds and one thing I really wanted to do for the nursery was hang a bed crown above the crib with a canopy that draped over the sides, but after looking into the cost of buying a Bed Crown and a Canopy I realized my eyes were much bigger than my budget, so there was NO way that was going to be possible. So after trying other ways to decorate the space above the crib I realized that I wasn't going to be happy until there was a Bed Crown and Canopy hanging there.

DIY Bed Crown and Canopy Tutorial
DIY Bed Crown and Canopy Tutorial

Since my options were limited I decided that I was going to attempt to make my own Bed Crown and Canopy and low and behold it was much easier than I thought and the end product turned out WAY better than I imagined, so I wanted to share a step by step tutorial that shows how to turn a vintage shelf and set of queen sheets into a Beautiful Bed Crown and Canopy!!

Here is what you need to make the Bed Crown and Crib Canopy

• Ornate Shelf
  • Set of Queen Sheets
  • Ruffle Trim
  • Iron / Steam Iron
  • Push Pins
  • Fabric Glue or Hot Glue
  • Stitch Witch
  • 2 packs of Dual Lock Fasteners
  • 1 pack of Velcro Fabric Hook and Loop Fasteners
  • Scissors
  • Spring Loaded Curtain Rod Here is what you will need to securely hang the Bed Crown and Canopy
  • Plywood
  • Stud Finder
  • Level
  • Screws
  • Nails

I hope you enjoy!!

diy bed crown crib canopy tutorial

Fold your sheet in half (vertically) then cut at the fold using sharp scissors. This will create the two panels that will drape over the crib.

diy bed crown crib canopy tutorial

Separate the two pieces and then hem the edges of the sheet using Stitch Witch.

diy bed crown crib canopy tutorial

Create 3" knife pleats at the top of each of the panels. Glue the knife pleats in place using liquid glue

diy bed crown crib canopy tutorial

Iron the fitted sheet. Once you’ve ironed the wrinkles out of the fitted sheet you need to cut the bottom edges along the inseam so that the sheet is no longer fitted

diy bed crown crib canopy tutorial

Apply Hook and Loop Fabric Velcro to the top of your fitted sheet. This is so that you can attach the fitted sheet to the spring loaded curtain rod.

diy bed crown crib canopy tutorial, bedroom ideas, diy, home decor, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling

Adhere the pleated panels underneath the top of the the bed crown using Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners.

Add Chiffon Trim to the edge of the curtain panels. Start by placing the top edge of the trim on the underside of the panel and then gluing it in place with a hot glue gun.

Place the spring loaded rod into the top of the fitted sheet and push the fabric together so that the entire top of the fitted sheet is on the rod. Now you need to fasten the hook and loop squares to keep it in place.

Take the Plywood and screw it into the wall where you want to hang your bed crown. Make sure that you screw the plywood into studs for stability. Next you need to hammer two nails into the plywood to hang your bed crown.

How to make a Bed Crown and Canopy
How to make a Bed Crown and Canopy

How to turn a vintage shelf and set of queen sheets into a Bed Crown and Canopy
Jessica

• Janice

Would ya still use queen size sheets for making this for a day bed and not a crib

• Kevin

Is the canopy a good idea for a baby bed because if SID? I am thinking if the baby is as busy as my grands it will be pulled down. Just thinking. It's a great idea and pretty. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Fantasia Romano

I was thinking the same thing. What if it fell down and smothered the child or any part of the fixture fell.

• Mary

Is it worth the risk? While the look is beautiful, there is a belief that SIDS may be linked to carbon dioxide and babies not getting enough “fresh” air.

Some Drs even recommend keeping a low running fan in a baby’s bedroom at all times so the air circulates. Any type of drape or even overly plush bumper pads and quilts add to the potential of a baby snuggling in a little to close and restricting the amount of oxygen they get. The results could be disastrous.

• Angela Schweppe

When my son was little, born year 2000, Babies were supposed to sleep on their back’s… I always wondered what would happen if they spit up during the night. I’ve had friends whose doctor said put the baby on their side… I totally agree that I don’t think ANYONE really knows!

Each mother/father has to do what they feel and believe is best for their baby.

Incidentally a friend of mine from high school died from sleep apnea because he did not wake up. Sleep apnea is when you stop breathing in your sleep. Usually the person will wake up from lack of oxygen, but the danger is that they won’t.

• Tina

DEFINITELY!!!

• Judy

Absolutely beautiful.....I think you made a very creative enviable canopy that I’m sure creates no harm for a baby. Job well done...👍👍👍