DIY Bed Crown & Crib Canopy Tutorial

$80

Editor's Note: The following project is not harmful to children if done correctly and used safely. This is only intended for home decor and design, not as a functioning curtain or canopy. Please make sure to keep out of reach of children when the the crib is in use. Enjoy the creativity!

I have always loved canopy beds and one thing I really wanted to do for the nursery was hang a bed crown above the crib with a canopy that draped over the sides, but after looking into the cost of buying a Bed Crown and a Canopy I realized my eyes were much bigger than my budget, so there was NO way that was going to be possible. So after trying other ways to decorate the space above the crib I realized that I wasn't going to be happy until there was a Bed Crown and Canopy hanging there.

DIY Bed Crown and Canopy Tutorial

Since my options were limited I decided that I was going to attempt to make my own Bed Crown and Canopy and low and behold it was much easier than I thought and the end product turned out WAY better than I imagined, so I wanted to share a step by step tutorial that shows how to turn a vintage shelf and set of queen sheets into a Beautiful Bed Crown and Canopy!!

Here is what you need to make the Bed Crown and Crib Canopy

• Ornate Shelf
  • Set of Queen Sheets
  • Ruffle Trim
  • Iron / Steam Iron
  • Push Pins
  • Fabric Glue or Hot Glue
  • Stitch Witch
  • 2 packs of Dual Lock Fasteners
  • 1 pack of Velcro Fabric Hook and Loop Fasteners
  • Scissors
  • Spring Loaded Curtain Rod Here is what you will need to securely hang the Bed Crown and Canopy
  • Plywood
  • Stud Finder
  • Level
  • Screws
  • Nails

I hope you enjoy!!

Fold your sheet in half (vertically) then cut at the fold using sharp scissors. This will create the two panels that will drape over the crib.

Separate the two pieces and then hem the edges of the sheet using Stitch Witch.

Create 3" knife pleats at the top of each of the panels. Glue the knife pleats in place using liquid glue

Iron the fitted sheet. Once you’ve ironed the wrinkles out of the fitted sheet you need to cut the bottom edges along the inseam so that the sheet is no longer fitted

Apply Hook and Loop Fabric Velcro to the top of your fitted sheet. This is so that you can attach the fitted sheet to the spring loaded curtain rod.

Adhere the pleated panels underneath the top of the the bed crown using Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners.

Add Chiffon Trim to the edge of the curtain panels. Start by placing the top edge of the trim on the underside of the panel and then gluing it in place with a hot glue gun.

Place the spring loaded rod into the top of the fitted sheet and push the fabric together so that the entire top of the fitted sheet is on the rod. Now you need to fasten the hook and loop squares to keep it in place.

Take the Plywood and screw it into the wall where you want to hang your bed crown. Make sure that you screw the plywood into studs for stability. Next you need to hammer two nails into the plywood to hang your bed crown.

How to make a Bed Crown and Canopy

How to turn a vintage shelf and set of queen sheets into a Bed Crown and Canopy

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Jessica

• Linda Radtke
    Linda Radtke

Couldn't you just use a fancy shelf upside down and painted for the bed crown?

• Kimm King
    Kimm King

Why are you using a crib ruffel-pad in the crib? I know they're pretty BUT you are risking your child's life. We know two children who DIED by getting tangled in it. PLEASE don't use these in cribs!! ❤

• Robby Treichel
      Robby Treichel

Good grief! How ever did you people survive childhood? Have you never heard of a mother who checks on her sleeping baby?

• Lovebugznana
    Lovebugznana

Are you not concerned if it falls it could smother your baby? Far too dangerous!