Michelle W
Michelle W
  • New Zealand

Router or trim router ?

Michelle WKMS Woodworks360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+1

I am getting a rather sizable list of power tools I intend to buy to complete my home workshop and I was wondering if it is best to buy a router or perhaps start with a trim router, any thoughts ? And also what does everyone think about multi tools are they worth it ?

I know @KMS Woodworks will have an opinion on this.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

What type wood working are you mostly doing?

• KMS Woodworks

I started with a 1 1/2 HP porter Cable 690...this was ages ago. The make it now as a 1 3/4 HP version. You can get it as a kit with the fixed and plunge base for just a bit more. http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11094 a few years latter as I was setting up my shop I picked up the 3 1/4 HP 7518. I have this unit mounted full time in a router table and I has been great. This bigger unit has the variable speed which I need for the larger panel bits. Just last year Or so I finally picked up a smaller "trim" router which I have used in the field a bit doing hinge installs etc. It is a little easier to control for this smaller detail type work. If I only had to use one it would be the first one I got as it is a nice mix of power and ease of handling. ( in can also be mounted into a table. As far as the multi tool goes I have used a clients Fein and it was pretty nice...I used it for some detail sanding work. Even though it can do a lot of other stuff...but it is a bit pricey to be just a sander. I have grinder, and other trim type saws

• Michelle W

Thank you for your replies @Douglas Hunt ,@360 Sod (Donna Dixson) and @KMS Woodworks I'll be going shopping soon. Hardware shops are very dangerous places to go, so much stuff !! and all so very tempting!!