Upcycled Wine Crate/box Into Nightstand

$50

I revamped an old wine crate into a DIY nightstand for my sons bedroom. Every year my aunt brings us back a crate of wine from France. I love these little wooden crates almost as much as the wine but not quite ! When my son was moaning that he didn’t have anywhere to put a glass of water at night I decided to DIY a nightstand using one of these crates.
I used a simple wine crate/box with lid, these are normally available from your local wine merchants often for free. (They are the boxes that hold 1/2 dozen bottles)
The lid was split in 2 so I used one part to make an internal shelf and the other part for a lipped shelf.
The wine crate was new so to age it I used some antiquing wax.
I'd come across some wrapping paper that matched my sons bedding, so to add further interest to my nightstand, I decoupaged the inside back with this paper.
Finally I added some 16" hairpin legs to finish off my nightstand. The front 2 legs were screwed both into the base of the crate and the lid to create an extra lip shelf. Click here to see where you can get hairpin legs.
More details are available on the blog post below.
The nightstand looks awesome in my sons room and he loves it. The extra shelving made from the lid really makes it useful storage. Now he’s got somewhere to put that glass of water, and a place to rest his phone as it charges overnight. Also there is room enough for the books he’s currently reading and his tablet ! If you want to see another great upcycle I made with hairpin legs then click here.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Blu8623462

Where do you find the Hairpin legs?

• Paola Montreuil

I agree, is really cute. I just want to know how did you spent $50.00 for the project if only the legs are over $60.00?

• Jeri Walker

Amazon had them as she said for $42.00

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

It was a rough estimate , for the hairpin legs and wrapping paper and materials. The legs were the most expensive part. The legs on my Amazon link are $42.

• Claire Hendricks

That bedspread/comforter is fabulous! Where did you find it? chendricks99@hotmail.com

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Thanks I got it from a store called John Lewis, it's UK based though I don't know if they have an American branch. You could always Google geometric duvet covers and see if you can find something similar.

• Claire Hendricks

Thank you so much Claire. Your project is really cool and so perfectly useful! Best! Claire H.

• Connie wedding

I have one hanging on my kitchen wall with two bottles of wine in it, two wine glasses, a clump of faux grapes, and a wedge of faux cheese, and behind it, glued to the inside of the box, is a print of an old painting of exactly the same scene. It gets compliments from everyone who sees it. So many great things can be done with wine boxes, including as book cases stacked and screwed together. The end table was a neat idea, too.

• Shannon Hamilton Millard

How tall was it when complete?