Asked on Jun 9, 2012

Jacking up a Shed

TonyaLori JKMS Woodworks
+1

Just wanted to share - in case you've got a structure sitting on the ground and rotting out, all hope is not lost. Recently jacked up an 8x12 shed and re-built an 8x12 addition attached to it. Loved spending some time in mid-Maine.
Shed for a Maine camp.
Shed for a Maine camp.
The addition to this shed was sitting on the ground.  Sills and joists had rotted out and the roof was a goner.
The addition to this shed was sitting on the ground. Sills and joists had rotted out and the roof was a goner.
The old shed had crumbling bricks for posts.
That whole in the corner sat atop the old privy.
Demolition done.  End of day 1.
Demolition done. End of day 1.
Lord knows how I got that fridge out of there.  But once I left the fridge by the side of the road and let the transfer station know it was for the taking, it disappeared within a day.
Lord knows how I got that fridge out of there. But once I left the fridge by the side of the road and let the transfer station know it was for the taking, it disappeared within a day.
How to jack a small shed from the inside.
Jacking with 20-ton bottle jacks and some 2x lumber to tie the structure together.
Up on new beams.
Up on new beams.
The slope and rocks posed a challenge.
The slope and rocks posed a challenge.
Gorgeous sunset on Horseshoe Pond.  Can almost hear the loons.
Gorgeous sunset on Horseshoe Pond. Can almost hear the loons.
That beam isn't going anywhere.
That beam isn't going anywhere.
Bought my first framing nailer for this one.  Sped up production considerably, but I still like to swing a hammer from time to time.
Bought my first framing nailer for this one. Sped up production considerably, but I still like to swing a hammer from time to time.
New workspace.
New workspace.
Added some single-hung windows for a view of the pond.  Re-fashioned an old door to fit.
Added some single-hung windows for a view of the pond. Re-fashioned an old door to fit.
  • Miriam I

Wow, that looks like a lot of hard work. Great job!

• KMS Woodworks

Been there and done that...not so much jacking a whole shed, but replacing a rotten sill plate and rim joist. I used a 15 ton bottle jack to lift the side of a stucco house one joist bay at a time.

• Lori J

Nice save. Has a sort of beach changing hut feel to it.

• Tonya

Great job. Thanks for sharing and spreading the inspiration. It looks awesome.