How to Make an Old Dresser Into Media Cabinet or Buffet

3 materials
I spotted this old dresser with a missing drawer covered with junk in a thrift shop. What if I took that drawer guide out , and called it a media cabinet or buffet instead? Why not? Even I can do that!
After getting it home I cleaned it up and sanded the top. I was pleased to find it high quality Drexel and sturdy with the exception of the missing drawer.
Removed the drawer guide and cut a board to fit in the missing drawer space. Found some old trim and added it to finish the edge.
After covering the stained top, primed it all over.
Applied a base coat of a light blue all over too.
After the base coat dried, used two other colors to blend into the paint to add depth to the finish. I worked in small areas so I could blend the paint before it dried.
Painted the trim gold around the base of the cabinet as well around the doors.
Painted the door insets gold too.
Stained the top with General Finishes Java Gel
Added semi gloss Poly topcoat over the Java stain and Satin Poly to the rest of the cabinet
Drilled holes in the drawers and added new knobs. Reassembled the cabinet hinges, and hardware. Makes a nice new buffet!
Or if you'd rather, a great media cabinet with plenty of storage.
What would you prefer?

• General Finishes Java Gel Stain   (Woodcraft)
  • Modern Masters Gold Paint   (Benjamin Moore)
  • Sherwin Williams Pro Classic   (Sherwin Williams)

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 13 questions

Comments

2 of 191 comments
Next