Connie Beardshear
Connie Beardshear
  • Houston, TX

Floor Stenciling

Connie BeardshearWallsTreat Studio/ Kass WilsonJeanette S
+4

I need an idea for stenciling in my kitchen, and want it last. Any suggestions?
  • Sia@South 47th

You want it to last, or you want the idea fast? Either way, what is it you wish to stencil? Walls, Floors???

• Sia@South 47th

Oh I see you have it listed under "Floor". Well, what is your decor? What colours do you have that you wish to keep and build from?

• Connie Beardshear

yes the kitchen floor....apples is the theme and the colors are red gold and green

• Jeanette S

I know nothing about stenciling, but do know the protective varnish or whatever coating you put over the finished work is what counts for making it last. There are all sorts of products so do a lot of investigating before you start!

• Connie Beardshear

Thank you Jeanette, I am trying. lol I am having a problem finding the right stencil pattern also...but am not giving up!

• Connie, Jeanette S is absolutely correct about the coating. The prep is also important. The chemicals that are used to clean and preserve floors will build up over time. It is best to sand first to help your paint to adhere. Then, "sandwich your paint" underneath the top coats. I am also a fan of @Cutting Edge Stencils for stencil patterns. Here is one I just recently completed:

q floor stenciling, flooring, painting, Master bathroom closet The inspiration for the design came from the light fixtureq floor stenciling, flooring, painting, Colors blend with the floors and trim in the master The stencil is from cuttingedgestencils comq floor stenciling, flooring, painting, Close up of design from Cutting Edge Stencils
  • Connie Beardshear

Thank you Kass! I need all the information I can get. I am considering using a wood grain stencil over the entire floor.