Sealing tile grout

JulieLinda BussardDusty
+25

Hi, I just put in new tiles. I wanted to know if there is a way to seal the grouting so it does not get dirty/stained. Any ideas?
TIA!
This is my floor - I want to keep the grout looking new! :)
  • Rosanne
    Rosanne

Home Depot sells a grout sealer

• Donna
      Donna

You can order grout sealer online (through Amazon, Home Depot etc.) but you should be able to find it online. Just Google it and you should be able to find it in a location near you.

• Judith Mantos
    Judith Mantos

I bought grout sealer at Loes, poured some in a paper bowl and"painted it on with a fine paint brush. Dried pretty fast...still looks good after two years.

• R Walter
    R Walter

Miracle Sealants Company 511 Impregnator Pint this is what I used on a concrete table top to seal it and it worked. It did not change the color of the concrete one bit and made water roll right off, which is what the client wanted. You might want to test in an inconspicuous area first.

• Betty Finch
    Betty Finch

When my daughter in law had a new tile floor installed the installer told her to only use Murphy Oil soap to clean it and the grout would never stain. Her floor is 18 years old and mine is 10. Both floors look like new. It really works, the soap cleans well and smells so good. I don't know why this wouldn't work on wall tile.

• Deborah Campion
    Deborah Campion

i think there are several types of grout...sanded and unsanded...and one that you have to seal and one you don't have to seal...if sealing go to home depot, and ask them about sealing

• Donpaulin
    Donpaulin

Read the instructions that came with the grout if possible. Most say not to seal for something like two weeks, for moisture in grout-concrete, etc takes a while to work its way out.

• Barbara Aragon
    Barbara Aragon

For next time, there is a additive (I used "Grout Maximizer" by Marpei, from Lowe's) that you add to sanded or un-sanded grout instead of water, that is a sealant. It saves the extra step of sealing your grout afterwards.

• Dusty
    Dusty

Turtle car wax

• Micki
    Micki

After two weeks how may it be sealed? What product is best to seal indoor tiles?

• White Oak Studio Designs
    White Oak Studio Designs

There is a grout sealer that I used. I bought the most expensive one I could find at Menard's/Home Depot etc. Then the KEY is to reseal the grout once a year. Not only does it protect the grout from staining/discoloring it keep the grout from falling out. Well worth the time. I re-seal mine in the winter months when I have more time due to fewer outside chores. I don't know if this is a shower or not....but I wipe down my shower every time it is used to keep the mold/mildew at bay. It tkes about 5-10 minutes but prevent the gross grout thing from happening as well as mold/mildew in the corners. I kept my new shower new for over 20 years until we move by wiping it down after every shower. We have to pay for everything here so this saved me a lot of contractor money over the years.

• Connie Carroll
    Connie Carroll

They look like porcelain tile so the tiles themselves do not need sealing (stone does). Miracle products has a grout sealer that is outstanding as well as a company called Van Hearon. I own a tile store. I agree that another time, additive is a great option although several companies now have a grout with sealer built in. Keep in mind that this grout will need to be sealed often depending on mopping and traffic.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

I use a small pointed artist brush and coat the grout with a varathane (a marine varnish/poly.) Did a 9x12 room in about hour and half. Floor cleans with water or maybe a light clorox solution when gets build up.

• Cathy Attfield
      Cathy Attfield

Hi John, is your grout still holding up? Has the varathane yellowed or any thing? Sounds like such a simple solution am surprised no one has mentioned it before!

• Hot air
    Hot air

My hubby is a tile installer we always use grout sealer on our personal tile. It does help keep the lines clean. Buy where they sell tile supplies, and use artist brush to apply. Never had trouble with my grout line when I use sealer.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

I buy tile and grout seal at my local Home depot and if it does get dirty, use Zep orange cleaner on it, full strength, let it set 10-15 min then rinse it off. I clean my tile and grout once a year and re seal it

• Rosy
    Rosy

Yes go Lowe's or Home Depot they have grout sealer and also have applicators to apply your sealer or you can use a narrow artist brush to paint the sealer on.

• Marge
    Marge

we had a friend tile our bathroom shower and the grout does not stay in should he have used a special grout in the shower, He did put a seal on it

• Carol
    Carol

heard there are two types of grout one with sand one with out for wall and small gaps use with no sand or it will fall out in pieces due to to thick, and partial sand in it.

• Cathy Soukup
    Cathy Soukup

We laid white tiles with yellow grout a few years ago and sealed it all well. It was beautiful...but in no time the grout was dirty and had to be cleaned and sealed again. I've used every cleaner and sealer recommended, to no avail. Now I've just left it "brown". Is there any way to really seal grout on a floor, or should I throw in the towel and re-grout with actual brown grout?

• Dusty
    Dusty

Turtle car wax is a great sealer! It's cheap and buffs to a beautiful shine. The water just beads right off!

• Jan Beaver
    Jan Beaver

I finally learned that all that tile sealer does is keep moisture from soaking down into the grout......it does not easily clean and the larger the grout lines, the more that dirt 'sticks' to the grout. The only way to clean it is with a brush and cleaner. Using a mop and cleaning your floor tiles cleans fine for the tile but only lets floor dirt stick to the grout. I now only have tile in my baths and still have to get down and clean with a brush to get the grout clean. I read above about the marine varnish....I think I might try that.

• Lisa House
    Lisa House

Just had my shower tiled, used unsanded grout that came with the sealer already in it. I asked the installer as well, he said to wipe it down after every use and we should have no issues. However, I had already planned on applying turtle wax because the tile is a clear crackled glass and I don't want to ever see any water spots on it. I tiled my kitchen floor in my last house a year ago, was told the grout did not need to be sealed, two weeks later it looked awful, so decided then I would always protect my grout lines some how. Getting down on my knees to clean a floor is impossible as I have no padding in my knee joints any more, bone on bone in both joints. Good luck with yours!

• Dusty
    Dusty

Glad to be of service.

• Linda Bussard
    Linda Bussard

Anybody ever try clear polyutherene to seal grout lines? Just wondering if this would work..Thanks for any advice...
  • Julie
    Julie

yes its called a grout sealer. Apply 1-2 coats with a fine artist brush. Comes in a bottle liquid form .U have to allow 24 hrs before using area .All the best. Julie p.s u must wear gloves