How to disconnect kitchen sink sprayer

Paul EdenfieldCristine MeixnerGalen W. Yoder
+12

My kitchen sprayer leaks at the head. I would like to disconnect/remove sprayer.
  • R Walter
    R Walter

Why not just replace it. You can find them at big box stores. If you want to remove it, you will need to find the right fitting to plug the opening that it unscrews from under the sink

• Connie Gooch
    Connie Gooch

You should check out the http://www.familyhandyman.com/ website. You can find how to do just about anything there.

William

R Walter is correct! Replace it with a new one.

• 241755
    241755

I tried replacing just the sprayer and it still leaked so had to replace the whole faucet.

• Do you have a pull out sprayer from the faucet itself? If so check to make sure the connection is tight to the sprayer head. When loose they will leak whenever the water is turned on.

• EBO22
    EBO22

I had the same problem, but could not find a replacement head. Sooo, I took the head off and put a double layer of plastic wrap over the threads and reattached the old sprayer. The sprayer doesn't work but it doesn't leak either. Did this as a temporary fix. Intend to renovate the whole kitchen soon.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

I have no idea who in the 1950's came up with the idea you needed a small spray hose in the kitchen sink. They all fail with time. They provide little that holding under the faucet won't do. I bet you won't find them in the former Soviet Union. It was probably a 'Cold War' plot against the American homeowner. The only real solution, because the sink probably has the hole in it too, which you will have to 'plug' up with some diy cork or dish rag and a bucket under sink as it leaks, just replace it all and get happy.

• D Smith
    D Smith

Many of the sprayer attachments have a small o-ring or gasket of some type inside the hose or the sprayer part. Turn off your water supply, disconnect it and check for an o-ring or gasket. If you find one, take the unit to your local hardware store to find the proper replacement. If you don't find one try some teflon seal tape - only one wrap and stretch it to fit - around the threads. One roll of the Teflon tape is usually a home owner's lifetime supply; it's cheap and it's available in the plumbing section of the hardware store.

• Dennie
      Dennie

D Smith...We have had our plumber out to do the o-ring replacement three separate times. I finally got tired of that and sealed it up. As someone else said here, it don't work, but it don't leak. I love the idea of using the sprayer, but they just aren't constructed well.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

I called the mfg of my faucet/sprayer set and they replaced the head for free. Took about 10 min to install the new head and it now works perfectly

• Sophia,M.,McConnery
    Sophia,M.,McConnery

If that is the issue just replace the whole unit with one that has no sprayer.I like the swivel head add on better! Good luck!

• Mary Lou Morin
    Mary Lou Morin

Whenever mine leaks, it's usually because the head's become loose. Simply tighten and problem solved. If that won't work, make sure you're buying a top brand. There are so many cheap faucets sold anymore at Home Depot and Lowes. An old plumber told me to only buy Delta plumbing products as they are better constructed and can usually be repaired.

• Galen W. Yoder
    Galen W. Yoder

If you actually want to remove it from potential leaking, you can get small brass caps that you can screw onto the supply valve. Don't forget to use some teflon tape before screwing on the cap.(Ace plumbing supply dept.), Also you can even get the press in insert to fill the hole in the sink where the hose comes through. Hopefully the supply stop is in a location easy to work on! Depending on the brand and model, the hose may connect to the control valve, without seeing it hard to say what size cap to buy!

• Cristine Meixner
    Cristine Meixner

You could also buy a new head, which might solve the leaking. They are inexpensive and easy to put on.

• Paul Edenfield
    Paul Edenfield

Check rubber o-ring just before faucet and replace it