Hannah V
Hannah V
  • Brooklyn, NY

Marbleizing Terra Cotta Pots!

Hey everyone! DIY Fridays are back! Every other Friday, the Hometalk clan gets together and tries our hand at a Hometalk inspired project. This round it was marbleizing terra cotta pots. :)
marbleizing terra cotta pots , crafts, gardening
I've been in love with the idea of marbleizing for quite some time now, and I couldn't believe how easy it was!
We started out with a plain ol' mini terra cotta pot.
And then poured white acrylic paint in with a little water. It was 1 part water 4 parts white paint.
Then we drizzled in black paint. We did it in slow drops and then swirled it in with a coffee straw creating a cool marbly look.
Then all you do is just dip your pot in and roll. (Note: you will probably get some paint on your fingers, but that's always the fun part of crafting, right? Also, it washed right off.)
Once you're done getting your roll on, set it upside down for ten minutes.
Then flip it right side up! This helps the paint get more marbly looking on the pot. (Prosecco is not a required material in this project, but encouraged ;) )
We let it dry overnight and then sprayed it with a clear matte finishing spray.
And voila! It seriously looks like marble. I'm so in love with it. I ran home potted it right away and set it on my bedroom shelf.
Be sure to share your marbling projects that you try too!! See you on Hometalk! :)

• White acrylic paint  (Michaels)
  • Black acrylic paint  (Michaels)
  • Terra cotta pot  (Michaels)
Hannah V

• Carol Brown Hargrave

What was the type of surface were these set to dry? On paper, I know they'd stick. I would need to make as little mess as possible! Did the top edge need to be touched up?

• Karen Reed

I have used shaving cream for this also and it works great..let shaving cream dry for maybe 10 minutes then rinse gently!! Pinterest!!

• Ssm6713637

Marbelizing terra cotta pots What is Prosecco?

• M. K. M.

Very yummy sparkling wine that is Plan B when there's no Moscato. And I had no idea it is so easy to make a marbled pot. Very cute.

• Cindymamabear

How did you turn the pot over with out leaving finger prints?

• Karen Reed

I would put a pinky finger in the bottom or a chopstick or a cup hook!!

• Patty

Love this idea, and It looks much easier than the nail polish trick.

• Rambie

WOW....It really does look like a marble pot you would pay to much for just because you loved it, Lolol Great job!