Meredith bungard
Meredith bungard
  • Warren, OH

Anyone know what this is?

Deanna Riles-CoxDiane JordeningCharlie Smily
+33

Just started growing. Had a bird feeder near by, maybe from that? Should I "leave it or pull it" ?
anyone know what this is, gardening
  • Lisa S

Looks like sassafras. You can make root beer like ices by boiling the roots...That's an old sleep away camp memory. I don't think it flowers, but it's a nice leafy shrub. Your call!

• Sherry S

I think Lisa is right, it does look like a Sassafras sprout!

• Meredith bungard

I remember my Gram making sassafras root beer! . Thank you! Just bought the lot next to me, maybe I'll transplant it there.

• Alice M

Sassafras come from a tree, That look like the smoking plant marijuana.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I would be cautious with that ID. On the Sassafras you should have 3 distinct leaves present. A ghost, a mitten and an oval shape. The new leaves on a sassafrass do not show that pronounced sharp lobate leaf.. The structure does not look like a sassafras either. Please look at this article before making sassafrass tea from that plant. It has a good description beside the picture. http://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/sassafras.html

• Meredith bungard

Thank you, no it does not have 3 different leaves, think i'll just wait awhile to see what it does. Thanks everyone!

• KMS Woodworks

Sassafrass leaves have smooth edges...this looks more like a young mulberry. http://www.hsu.edu/pictures.aspx?id=1358

• Robbie Frazier

it looks like a weed that grows on my property mostly in my garden. i always try to keep them pulled up. lol

• Sue D

I have some yellow coreopsis size flowers and the leaves are like it . It can grow to be 6 ft tall and has little yellow- flowers that like full sun. I live in zone 7 and was planting a olympic theme -yellow flowers and bought seed packets. It has invaded my neighbors yard

• Cheryl stanley

I don't know the name of it, but it grows all along country roads here in Missouri. it gets very tall and is VERY invasive. doesn't bloom. it just looks like the one in your picture only taller.

• April E

that is a weed that grows al over the place here in Oklahoma has little yellow flowers after it gets big enough (which is way to fast) and @Alice M you watch way to much tv if you think that looks like marijauana lmfao.

• Gloria Duy

I don't know what it is but it's a weed, I had a ton of them in my flowers.

• Deanna Riles-Cox

It's a weed that doesn't flower. It's everywhere in KY.

• Wendy G Butler

While I don't know what it is...I do know that it's NOT a marijuana plant

• Gloria Duy

LOL Wendy. It's not safe to drink for tea, but maybe she should smoke some just to be sure?

• Judy

LOL Gloria...guess we all know what Alice does NOT smoke...... Meridith, it looks like Giant Ragweed to me. Here's a link, look at figure number 2: http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/GWC-12.pdf

• Suzie

okay...definitely not Cannibus which is a weed by the way, if you didn't plant it pull it!

• Pam Johnson

not sure of the name but my daddy calls it horse weed and horses like to eat it . Don't let it go to seed unless you have livestock to feed it to..

• Nancy Hatcher

This is giant ragweed! PULL IT! Especially if you have seasonal allergies. I have an unfortunate abundance of giant ragweed and fight with it every season.

• Norma Jean Savitsky

Looks like sassafras.

• Sandra Parrill

@Nancy and Judy are right, giant ragweed. Definitely a weed, pull it before it blooms and goes to seed. Luckily they are easy to pull out.

• This looks like what we used to call horseweed on the farm in IL.

• Sue

@The Garden Frog with C Renee I didn't know anyone else called it horseweed that is what we called it when I was growing up

• Irish53

It is not sassafras. Alice is right. Sassafras is a tree. There would be bark around the trunk. Sassafras has mitten shaped leaves that are rounded not pointy on the edges. If you just scratch and sniff the the root of sassafras you can smell the scent to identify it. Hemp has pointy narrow leaves. it is just another weed. Rag weed has a carrot scent to it.

• Meredith bungard

Thank you everyone for your help. It is a giant ragweed and I have pulled it and disposed of it.( Thank goodness it wasn't marijuana LOL!! Although I knew it wasn't that.)

• Charlie Smily

Wait fae it tae bloom an' if ye dinnae lik it,,it's awa tae the dump

• Charlie Smily

be carefu' in handlin it if ye dinnae ken whit it is

• Leah E

Derick, I love your accent!

• Nancy Martin Becker

looks like giant ragweed. birds love the seeds

• KMS Woodworks

I had forgotten about ragweed...this is something we do not have at 8500 feet in the rockies. But I do remember it from my time living in Michigan http://www.nrca-railroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Giant-ragweed-1024x760.jpg

• Rebecca B

This is a weed. Not marijana. It grows in the woods 100 feet from my house. I think the scientific name is ambrosia trifida, but in Oklahoma some people call it giant ragweed. I call it "compost" if it gets in my garden.

• Sue D

I googled tall yellow flowering perennials and it might be (Rudbeckia laciniata 'Hortensia') My plant blooms in Late July and the flowers do eventually make a cone shap. Sue

• Charlie Smily

Leah E. a cannae send ye a message, unless yer followin me an' a dinnae ken yer email address, och ye can say hi on FB

• Charlie Smily

am graw'n wee sunflowers(3f)hich) frae seeds that a took frae a packet o' bird seed, whan they Bloom, a'll pit a Pic' op fae aw tae see.

• Diane Jordening

This looks like a very invasive vine we have in this area of NE. It looks sort of like a squash or melon vine but is not and will eventually have stickers on the stem which will get in your skin and will also scratch your arms when you try to pull if it is a large plant. HATE THEM