Hiding the Ugly Cold Air Return

$50

Hiding my cold air return that is 9 feet high on the dining room wall, and not centered. Before and after. Sorry, just seeing all the questions. I did this project several years ago, so I will try to remember the best I can.
Before
After
I bought the metal grate at Lowe's or Home Depot where its sold in sheets in different colors but the color doesn't matter since it will be painted. Build a wooden frame that is the size you need. I think we folded the ends of the grate in and stapled them to the inside of the frame for a clean look. I got the decor pieces from different things. Some are wood embellishments and some are metal wall art pieces (be creative) they are all attached with thin hanging wire to the grate. Then paint the entire thing one color. Sorry I can't be more detailed but get back to me if you have questions.

• Vickie Lester

My cold air returns bother me so much. Please how do I do this? Save me this gross sight please!
    • Kim S

Hi Vickie, I updated my post to include instructions as best I can remember. Kim

• Swinnen Lisette

Good idea ! I start right away with mine. Thanks !

• Leona Malone

Great idea for covering up the ugly vent ... but doesn't the fact that the grill is a dark color make it show up even more?