DIY 3-Ingredient Tub and Tile Cleaner

$1

Cleaning your home doesn't have to be toxic! This easy and inexpensive tub and tile cleaner cleans just as effectively as commercial products - without the addition of harsh chemicals. And, it smells great too!

7-9-17 Update: This project is no longer published on To Work with My Hands. Proportions are included below.
diy 3 ingredient tub and tile cleaner, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, go green
I've been making my own tub and tile cleaner for several years now. I began experimenting when cleaning with vinegar was all the rage and I added it into all the cleaners I made. The problem is that I don't really care for cleaning with vinegar. The smell isn't pleasant to me at all, and I really hated the fact that it would linger, even after I finished cleaning.
So, I decided to tweak my recipe to eliminate the vinegar, and do you know what? It cleans just as well and smells AMAZING!
This version contains just 3 ingredients: baking soda, liquid castile soap, and lemon essential oil.
Simply blend 3/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup castile soap together until the baking soda is all moistened. It will be thick.
If you want a smoother cleaner, add a little water and stir again. You really don't want it too thin, however, because you'll be diluting it again when you clean.
Finally, add 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil, blend well, and you're done. It smells so good! No sharp vinegar smell, just the fresh, clean fragrance of juicy lemons.
I use this cleaner in our showers, tubs, sinks, and counter tops. It effectively cleans and rinses to a sparkling shine every time. Plus, because it smells so nice, I'm not putting the task off like I did when it contained vinegar. It's actually an enjoyable task now - mostly. :)
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 12, 2018 10:19 PM - More info
To Work With My Hands

• Hub7437707

Will hydrogen peroxdie work wi baking soda instead of vinegar & lemon essential oil?

• I use Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to clean out my sink and tube drains about every 2 months. Pour a large amount of baking soda in the drain till it is piled up then the hydrogen peroxide on it and watch it pull (or boil) all the built up scum from drains. Then after I clean it up I lemon essential oil in my drains and let it sit for a nice clean smell. Works better than any stopped up drain cleaner on the market

• Molly Collins

Can you use scented castille soap,like Dr woods peppermint castille soap? Instead of adding essential oil?

• Sandy Trovatore
    4 hours ago

How long will it last if you don't use it right away ?

• Roz33660117
    Yesterday

Oh yes, I will definitely try this...I love to clean without any harsh chemicals...thank you...

• Merle Griffin
    18 hours ago

Will try this method. I use hydroden peroxide, just attach a sprayer to the bottle, then add some dish detergent, and with a heavy broom scrub away For my sinks, a dash of b/soda with a dash of dish detergent.