DIY 3-Ingredient Tub and Tile Cleaner

1.29M Views
Cleaning your home doesn't have to be toxic! This easy and inexpensive tub and tile cleaner cleans just as effectively as commercial products - without the addition of harsh chemicals. And, it smells great too!

7-9-17 Update: This project is no longer published on To Work with My Hands. Proportions are included below.
Time: 2 MinutesCost: $1Difficulty: Easy
  • diy 3 ingredient tub and tile cleaner, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, go green
I've been making my own tub and tile cleaner for several years now. I began experimenting when cleaning with vinegar was all the rage and I added it into all the cleaners I made. The problem is that I don't really care for cleaning with vinegar. The smell isn't pleasant to me at all, and I really hated the fact that it would linger, even after I finished cleaning.
So, I decided to tweak my recipe to eliminate the vinegar, and do you know what? It cleans just as well and smells AMAZING!
This version contains just 3 ingredients: baking soda, liquid castile soap, and lemon essential oil.
Simply blend 3/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup castile soap together until the baking soda is all moistened. It will be thick.
If you want a smoother cleaner, add a little water and stir again. You really don't want it too thin, however, because you'll be diluting it again when you clean.
Finally, add 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil, blend well, and you're done. It smells so good! No sharp vinegar smell, just the fresh, clean fragrance of juicy lemons.
I use this cleaner in our showers, tubs, sinks, and counter tops. It effectively cleans and rinses to a sparkling shine every time. Plus, because it smells so nice, I'm not putting the task off like I did when it contained vinegar. It's actually an enjoyable task now - mostly. :)

Suggested materials for this project:

• Baking soda  (Sam's Club)
  • Liquid castile soap  (Frontier co-op)
  • Lemon essential oil  (Frontier co-op)
To Work With My Hands

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!