DIY 3-Ingredient Tub and Tile Cleaner

$1

Cleaning your home doesn't have to be toxic! This easy and inexpensive tub and tile cleaner cleans just as effectively as commercial products - without the addition of harsh chemicals. And, it smells great too!

7-9-17 Update: This project is no longer published on To Work with My Hands. Proportions are included below.
I've been making my own tub and tile cleaner for several years now. I began experimenting when cleaning with vinegar was all the rage and I added it into all the cleaners I made. The problem is that I don't really care for cleaning with vinegar. The smell isn't pleasant to me at all, and I really hated the fact that it would linger, even after I finished cleaning.
So, I decided to tweak my recipe to eliminate the vinegar, and do you know what? It cleans just as well and smells AMAZING!
This version contains just 3 ingredients: baking soda, liquid castile soap, and lemon essential oil.
Simply blend 3/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup castile soap together until the baking soda is all moistened. It will be thick.
If you want a smoother cleaner, add a little water and stir again. You really don't want it too thin, however, because you'll be diluting it again when you clean.
Finally, add 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil, blend well, and you're done. It smells so good! No sharp vinegar smell, just the fresh, clean fragrance of juicy lemons.
I use this cleaner in our showers, tubs, sinks, and counter tops. It effectively cleans and rinses to a sparkling shine every time. Plus, because it smells so nice, I'm not putting the task off like I did when it contained vinegar. It's actually an enjoyable task now - mostly. :)

20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
To Work With My Hands

• Tom

What if you want to do an entire kitchen floor?

• Mikkigirl

If it’s not enough just increase the ingredients proportionately.

• Dmc3836

Do you have to use lemon or can you use a different oil?

• Mary

Ad any that you like. Tangerine is my favorite.

• Danny

So, do you add to a spray bottle and dilute? Or, do you keep it out and spread it on the surface you are cleaning?

• Diana

FYI, you can buy vinegar with no smell in the isle with cleaning supplies. I bought a gallon.

• Bridget

What a interesting way to clean the tub, thanks for putting at the top of the article that you use essential oils and not a real lemon.