Asked on Jun 10, 2012

Heavy use bathroom floor?

Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comKimberleeKMS Woodworks


Hi there. I'm a mom of a son with autism. He LOVES water! And takes baths all the time! Can someone tell me how complicated it would be to install a concrete bathroom floor? I am fairly competent in my building skills. :)
9 answers
  • KMS Woodworks
    on Jun 11, 2012

    You could rework the entire room with a floor drain and use a built up "mud bed" like those used in shower floors. On the DIY scale it is at the top. For an easier project Tile set over cement board with a "red guard" layer would be middle of the road....and provide nearly the same level of water resistance.....the drain would still be helpful

  • If you have a solid floor structure, you can install Schluter Ditra on the floor and tile over it. This will make the floor impervious to water intrusion below the tile. its lighter then cement and much easier to use. Visit their web site on how to DIY.

  • Kimberlee
    on Jun 11, 2012

    Thank you so much! I'll check it out!

  • Kimberlee
    on Jun 11, 2012

    KMS, a drain is my dream solution! I've always thought that would solve the problem but wasn't sure what material was the best idea. Thank you!

  • Kimberlee, Search for contractors who hold the title of CAPS This designation tells you that they have been certified as a contractor who understands the needs of not only aging adults but those with special needs. The training they get puts them in touch with specialty suppliers that sell products that your son would require not only now, but as they age. You can find These contractors by searching the National Home Builders Association web site. The contractor should have a CAPS designation in the search.

  • Kimberlee
    on Jun 11, 2012

    Woodbridge, that's awesome information to have! Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

  • Kimberlee, remember there are several programs to assist you in getting this type of project done. Insurance is one of them. If this is something you need to have you may have some recourse with them. Check with your son's DR to see if he or she has some suggestions on where you can get low cost or free assistance with this project. Using the Ditra system as I suggested in prior answer, you can have the floor pitched and drain installed to make the entire floor in affect a shower drain. There are tons of products that can be used to accomplish exactly what your trying to do.

  • Kimberlee
    on Jun 13, 2012

    Woodbridge, I would love to find those programs. I don't think we have very much of those resources here in the South. It's very hard to get services, much less "extras" like this. But it's definitely worth looking into. Thank you so much!!

  • The National Home Builders Association is based in GA. I have been there many times for my certification classes that I hold and maintain. By contacting a CAPS contractor through them, they should be able to assist you on some local programs that may offer assistance to you. Also just check in your local community social service office. They have tons of links to many programs that you may not be aware of.

Your comment...