Gilded Girl

90K Views
I was so excited to find this gorgeous buffet on Craigslist. It had a few dings and scratches, but was overall in good condition. I knew those flat front-framed doors and drawers would make the perfect surface for a raised stencil.
  • gilded girl, painted furniture
After removing the hardware, I cleaned it up and lightly sanded all over. I found a stencil in my stash that fit well inside the trim. Using an old credit card, I applied spackling to the stencil onto the doors and drawers. After it dried, I lightly sanded, careful not to remove too much of the spackling and lose the pattern.
  • gilded girl, painted furniture
Sprayed primer over the buffet after covering the top to protect it from the spray.
  • gilded girl, painted furniture
Painted it a medium blue (sorry, forgot to take a picture) then did a heavy black glaze over the blue, lightly sanding in areas to highlight the lighter blue base coat.
  • gilded girl, painted furniture
Painted the trim and stencil gold. WHEW! Don't get in any hurry for this one! Sprayed the base with a satin poly top coat.
  • gilded girl, painted furniture
Stained the top with GF Java Gel Stain. Topped with semi-gloss poly. Spray painted the pulls and knobs gold and reassembled the buffet
  • gilded girl, painted furniture
All dressed up!
  • gilded girl, painted furniture
Time for a break and a glass of wine. Cheers!
  • gilded girl, painted furniture

Suggested materials for this project:

• General Finishes Java Gel Stain
  • Modern Masters Gold Rush