Donna Marie P
Donna Marie P
  • Buffalo, NY
Asked on Jun 10, 2012

What kind of plant is this?

Vivian JDouglas HuntDonna Marie P
+15

It gets about 6ft tall or more, white flowers that turn to berries. I will take pics at each stage of it;s growth.
what kind of plant is this, flowers, gardening
  • KMS Woodworks

elderberry perhaps?...the pics are a little hard to tell. http://www.bomengids.nl/uk/soorten/Gewone_vlier__Sambucus_nigra__Black_elderberry.html

Are the berries very dark and hang in clusters? If so, you have poke weed. That's my guess from the color of the stem.

• Sandra R

Poke weed. Douglas, you are good! I call it an inkberry weed. They used the berry for ink and staining but very toxic I do believe?

• Kathy R

Berries are toxic. This is growing in our ditch.

• Karen W

This is growing in our next door neighbor's back yard. I thought it was a plant of some kind among all the weeds (they moved out last year and the house has sat vacant for months). It's interesting looking. Nice to know what it is finally!

• Jamie M

Looks like Poke. Yummm.

• Alan J

weed

• Carlene M

Yep, poke weed. Had a neighbor that would cut the leaves, boil it several times and it looked like spinach, bout what it tasted like too. Only tried it once, and only a small bite. Not my thing~ I cut a large one down next to my potting area and compost pile often. Large tuber root if you let it grow too long.

• Erica Glasener

Yes berries are toxic although only if you eat them. They add some decoration to the garden.

• CONNIE W

Poke Weed.

• 911 Address Signs

yummy, love some poke salad..

• Leslie D

Yep, Poke Salad....we had a back yard full of it in SC, and used to use the berries as kids to mash up and paint our faces when we played Cowboys and Indians. My mom cooked it on a regular basis, and it turns out like Collards or Spinich, but you have to know what you're doing if you cook and eat it, or it can kill you.

• Patricia Mayne

We have one of those poke weeds that keeps poking up in the bushes in front of the house. Difficult to get rid of, we haven't had any success yet.

• Donna Marie P

Thank you all. Nice to know what it is. I let some grow because they are very pretty in a corner of the garden.

The birds will thank you for that, Donna Marie, and then ensure that you have them in other places. :-)

• Vivian J

If it is poke, we cook it up like greens, squeezed out excess cooking water, then mix it with a couple of beaten eyes, the fry it. Yes FRY it. It is an acquired taste. Poke Salad, like the song, "Poke Salad Annie" gator got yer grannie.....remember!