Marie
Marie
  • Oklahoma City, OK

What kind of paints and sealers should i buy?

Larissa ~ Prodigal PiecesShariMarie
+8

I've been saving up all these different furniture pieces to redo or repurpose. I have the tools but no paints yet. Can anyone suggest what i should start buying? So when i get to start on them i will have this stuff ready. Thank you for any help.
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

What type of budget do you have? You could start with homemade chalk paint (let me know if you need the recipe). Another low cost alternative is Websters http://websterschalkpaintpowder.bigcartel.com/ which allows you to make any color chalk paint in any sheen from flat to semi-gloss and is less toxic than homemade. Hope this helps!

• Marie

wow thank you so much

• Rachelle Morris

I would love a great homemade chalk paint recipe. I have seen a lot and have no idea which to choose from. Also, what have you painted with it? I am going to check out the link you gave too! Thanks for posting this question and answer!

• Marie

yes, may we get the recipe from you. Ive never used this chalk paint before. But i see it being used on pinterest and i like it. I was able to see some items up close when i went to the Junk Hippy show.

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Sure! Here's the homemade recipe: 1.5c. latex paint (flat, satin, eggshell, or semi-gloss), .5 c. hot water, .5 c plaster of paris. Just dissolve the plaster of paris into the water, and then add your paint. (note: plaster of paris is toxic and you should wear a mask and gloves while mixing it) You can use a fine bristle brush to apply it - I typically do 2 coats. The paint will be gritty, so you will need to take a 180 grit sandpaper or higher to lightly sand it off. That's usually not a problem because chalk paint if for adding a time-worn look, so you can distress it at this point too. (make sure to wear a mask!) Just finish off with a wax or poly. (I use Minwax Paste Wax or Polycrylic for now, but am looking for green products) I use it on anything...furniture, picture frames, sculptures...possibilities are endless! :o)

• Marie

Thank you so much.

• Shari

Personally, I do not care for the distressed look that you get with chalk paint so I prefer painting my furniture with regular latex interior paint. First, I wipe the furniture piece down really well with a "liquid sandpaper" product (also known as "deglosser") . This takes the place of tedious, time-consuming sanding. Then I apply 1 or 2 thin coats of a good quality latex primer. I have not been impressed with the all-in-one primer and paint I have tried so that's why I use a separate primer and paint. Once the primer has dried well, I apply several thin coats of latex paint in my color of choice. I use a basic airless Wagner sprayer I purchased from either Home Depot or Lowes for around $100. If you are planning to do a lot of furniture painting, you might want to consider using a sprayer because it gives a nice finish with no brush strokes and it really cuts down on your painting time. However, you can also do a nice job with a paint brush and/or roller--it's just going to take you longer. A protective finish is optional with latex paint (whereas chalk paint must be sealed with a wax or poly).

• Rachelle Morris

great info. and advice! Thanks so much!

• Marie

Thank you both so much. I too would like to start out with regular painting before i try my hand at the distressed look. Although by the time i get use to painting it will probably look that way. lol

• Shari

That's the primary reason I do not put a poly on my painted furniture. If it gets a few little nicks and scratches from everyday use or the vacuum cleaner, I can easily touch them up with a brush and a dab or two of paint. The other reason is most of my painted pieces are white and I don't like how even the non-yellowing protective finishes tend to give white paint a yellowish tint. Happy painting! :)

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

One way or the other, over time you will have nicks and scratches with a poly or just latex only. I've done both and love the ease of use with the chalk paint - you don't have to distress it, just leave it as is if you prefer. The polycrylic claims to be non-yellowing, but it does a bit over a few years time. Latex (which is really an acrylic anymore - check this link in the answer section http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/4669/whats-the-practical-difference-between-latex-and-acrylic-water-dispersion-p) can be a good way to go, but you need to watch your brush strokes(if you don't have a sprayer) and don't over-brush it...try to go one direction. You can even use a product call Flotrol, makes brushing easier. Sorry if TMI! :o)